Got my list...

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I did a walkthrough of Liveaquaria to put together a list and wanted to post it here to see if anyone sees anything that shouldn't go. All the fish in the list are described as peaceful and reef safe except the Foxfaces and the Butterflyfish. All are also for 75 gallon or less, which I have.

Dispar Anthias
Ignitus Anthias
Waitei Anthias

Royal Gramma Basslet

Bicolor Blenny
Black Combtooth Blenny
Black Sailfin Blenny
Ember Blenny
Linear Blenny
Midas Blenny
One Spot Blenny
Sailfin Algae Blenny
Segmented Sailfin Blenny
Starry Blenny
Tail Spot Blenny

Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
Mertensii Butterflyfish
Phantom Bannerfish
Tahitian Butterflyfish

Fowleria Cardinalfish
Longspine Cardinalfish
Orange Lined Cardinalfish
Spotted Cardinalfish

Yellowhead Jawfish

Blue Reef Chromis
Black and White Chromis
Black Bar Chromis
Blue/Green Reef Chromis
Orange Line Chromis
Vanderbuilt Chromis

Striped Dottyback

Green Mandarin
Red Mandarin
Red Scooter Dragonet
Scooter Blenny
Spotted Mandarin

Bicolor Foxface
Foxface Lo
One Spot Foxface

Multiple Wrasses

Clownfish

Scopas Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Convict Tang
Bristletooth Tomini Tang
Mimic Half Black Tang
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang

Also, I want to add things like shrimp, crabs, snails and possibly some sort of starfish. Should I be able to add those without any problems from the fish or future corals?

i dont think all the fish yo have listed will have room to move they will be cramed in there so tight for a 75 gal, normaly its 1 fish for ever 10 gal so if you have a 75 gal tank id shoot for 7 fish. what is your setup? the fish you have listed looks like a stock list for a 600-800 gal tank.

Last edited:
I think it might be a list for what CAN go in their tank, but they aren't sure what they want and want us to guide them in the right direction?

LOL, I'm new to saltwater and even I know you won't get ALL of that in even a tank twice as large!

That's just a list of possibilities.

Yeah, I was told before that 7-8 depending on what was in it would be close to a limit. I'm guessing this doesn't include any kind of cleaners?

My ideal stock would be maybe two of a larger species then several medium to small.

I'm only on my third day of cycling so not ready yet to get any but just planning ahead.

Last edited:
I would stay away from butterfly fish. They are really not reef safe and they're generally pretty sensitive.

Anthias do better in schools, I don't know if you can mix and match different kinds to school together or not.

You are also limited to one blenny. They generally don't get along.

As for inverts and such, so long as they are reef safe you'll be fine. And I don't count mine towards my bioload.

And I think the dragonets (mandarins and such) should be something you hold off on until your tank is pretty well established. They eat little critters (copepods) so you should give them a chance to breed and get their numbers up before you add a fish that can wipe them all out. I know a few people on here have had success feeding them frozen or sushi roe, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
LOL, I'm new to saltwater and even I know you won't get ALL of that in even a tank twice as large!

That's just a list of possibilities.

Yeah, I was told before that 7-8 depending on what was in it would be close to a limit. I'm guessing this doesn't include any kind of cleaners?

My ideal stock would be maybe two of a larger species then several medium to small.

I'm only on my third day of cycling so not ready yet to get any but just planning ahead.

Well, I wouldn't do a Scopas tang, or any of the HUGE fish on that list. A Scopas tang is estimated to get up to 12"...and that would like decimate your ability to have any other fish comfortably in there...

I think if you want a tang you should stick with one of the smaller ones. A yellow... or maybe a tomini. And I think the kole eye stays pretty small, too.

Notice for the Anthias: They require frequent feedings. If your up to the that task then you should get some! They're super colorful.

It's a 75 gallon. For starters I'll be going just two powerheads, live sand and rock and skimmer. I do have a Marineland Emperor 400 on standby if I decide I should hook that up.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. You guys are fast!

As for the Tang, I'm leaning towards the Convict or the Kole. I like both.

Another quick question while I got you guys here, I saw these kits they have on CUC's. Looking at the list of what you get, can you really put that many in one tank?? Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: The Keep It Clean Caribbean Package

A convict tang doesnt get very big. But I wouldnt add more then 2 tangs just because of the bio overload they would create. The leave alot of waste:pooh: if you know what I mean. And they are right about the manderains, the do require a well established tank with a fuge of some kind for live copapods.

Back