Got my mandarin fish!!

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
I got my mandarin fish today. :^: My LFS admitted that they were not eating any frozen foods... and that they never had mandarins eating frozen food. i felt bad as there was like 3 small rocks in the tank they werwith and that's all. He/she dosn't look skinny. It s been hiding under a rock since i got it.. Hope it will come out... It just looks really shy now... hasen't moved in 3 hours. Does anyone know how to make them eat frozen foods? Any tips? and like biff said, i should have enogh pods on my rocks to supply food for it...

Either they like frozen or they don't, pretty much. They definitely won't eat any frozen if there's other tankmates to eat it all first, mandarins are pretty lazy about eating, mine mostly just cruise around picking pods out of the rock, and only really eat frozen if they just happen upon it during feeding time. Good luck with yours!

Feed phytoplankton to your pods to keep them multiplying, and keep some rubble piles in your tank as pods will breed and hide in the piles where they feel protected. Pod levels are highest in tanks with macro algae and rubble and large aggregate on the tank bottoms, and places of escape from aggressive feeders.

Hum, well, i guess I'll try to feed him with a turkey blaster and see if he will eat any frozen food..... He's now hiding and nowhere to be seen. i'll take some pix tomorrow(hopefully, if he is anywhere when i can see it). Cause he is nowhere to be seen right now... probably hiding somewhere in my rocks...
stupid question, but i do not have any rubble in my tank... You think the LFS could sell me some rubble from their live rocks...? I have lots of caves in my rocks.... Isn't that sufficient? I have some phytoplex (kent marine), will the pods eat that as I put some in my tank about twice a week for my corals... I have never seen a pod (nor tryed to find one) as I never cared about pods until now....
as for the macro, I had so much in my tank before, and I removed it all as I had no refugium and it was bugging me) :frustrat:. dumb thing to do.... :grumble:Where could i find some macro?

when i got my mandarin i introduced him into the tank after lites out in the evening ... within 24 hours he was swimming out in the open and scooting along the rock work looking for pods ... even my aggressive and speedy tangs whizzing by doesnt even seem to both him ... so i would just be patient yours will come out when hes ready ... mine doesnt eat frozen foods either

Mine does eat frozen as well.It didn't start out eating frozen but in time(a long time)it slowly started eating prepared food.I turn the pumps off and squirt mysis near it.The mandarin gets a bite or two before the rest of the food is eaten buy the other fish.They are so slow at going after the food.

The mason jar and sinking pellets may work like on Melev's website.

if you don't have a sump try a hang on fuge with just chaeto in it i had a ton of pods from using a hang on fuge for a while before i added a sump with fuge. i did get lucky with my 75 gallon sump and fuge i have live mysis shrimp breadiing like crazy in that tank.

For a rubble pile you can break up a base rock with a hammer, or even go to a garden store and ask for some lime stone rocks. They come in large bags for rock gardens planting borders and such. They are grey to white in color. Even marble rocks are easy to get and they are also white. They ewill cover with algae and coraline like everything else. Pods were likely still be in your tank if you had much algae. At least if there are any hiding places you probably will still have some. As long as they can feed they will multiply to fill the homes provided, meaning if they have places they will not be eatten they will populate those places fully if food is available. Phytoplankton can be purchased to feed plankton and filter feeders. Bottled and frozen phyto is reasonably priced. Try what you can afford to try if you really want to keep a mandarin, most peoples mandarins die before they ever start eatting dead food. If you can keep them a live long enough to get used to captivity with live pods, live rotifers, and live shrimp naupuli, then you have a good chance of their starting to eat frozen foods. Large LFS's in the states ought to have live rotifers and live naupuli are simple to harvest and there eggs are available at all pet strores, even Walmart. Do not try starving a mandarin into eatting dead foods as it will likely choose starvation. I find Mels ways often tacky but usually effective, but I normally have no other fish in my coral tanks and still can many mandarins to eat dead food. Perhaps the fact that they usually have plentiful live food is just reason not to eat dead food. Before I started feeding my SPS I could never keep a mandarin long term as they did not have plentiful live foods, and would not take dead food and they had no other fish in the tank then either. Usually my mandarins only stay in my tanks now for 6 months or so before going to a customers tanks. I definitly need to hang on to one and see how long it will live. I know several customers are at least two years old. They feed (now fresh, but for most of that time bottled) phytoplankton and rotifers to their corals.

Last edited:
Here is my new little guy! :^::bounce:My stupid pseudichromis is attacking him constantly! I have tryed to catch the pseudochromis (which i tought was a royal gramma when i bought it) since yesterday and I am unable to get him!!! As soon as I catch the pseudochromis, I'll return it to my LFS or flush him down the toilet!!! :grumble:I hate this fish so bad! My fish will only use the right half of the tank, and my daredevil is potecting the other half! Constantly chasing fish around!! ANy tips on how to catch this daredevil?:frustrat:

026.JPG

020.JPG

019.JPG

007_810729.JPG

if any ever plans on adding a Pseudochromis it should be on of last fish in tank sometimes especially if you add new fish of same size cause they will freakin harass new fish bad unless it is a lot bigger in size. figured this out the hard way, but recently lost my purple pseudo in my large tank not sure what happen but it was in anenomes mouth one morning.

RyanG, the yellow thing in e picture is some type of plant growing in my tank... Biff may be right about the name...

And thanx! I luv the mandarinfish... I just hope I can catch the pseudochromis!! That thing is evil!!!!!!! Absolutely evil!!!!! I had to learn the hard way as well Dfrench! I wish I'd wake up one morning and find it dead! It would be easyer then to try to catch it! And I feel bad about droping it back to my LFS. I feel bad for the next buyer of this evil fish! but Ill have to catch it first!:frustrat::grumble:

there not really evil fish i really love the pseodo's its just there like the watch dog in your tank and there great predator fish mine is always lookin for bristle worms. i was lucky enough to lose the one in big tank but my 75 gallon has one it is a springeri pseodochromis its all black with blue stripes on its face.

Back