Green algae!!

mmmorgan07

Reefing newb
Ive had my aquarium up and running perfect for about over a year, and about a month ago i have been experiencing an abundance amount of green aglae. i just got rid of the cyano, now im stuck with this. i've tried eveything i could think of from snails (which my humuhumu ate all of them), algaefix by API, my light hours have been reduced to only 6hours, but i have coral so they need some amount of daylight. my UV sterilizer and skimmer are on point. i need help!!!!

Can we get some more information?
What is your stock list? How often are you feeding? Are you using RO or tap water?

And for what it's worth, a 75 is far too small for any trigger.

i feed them every other day. krill for my puffer, silversides for my lion and trigger, and brine shrimp for my clown. i recently got my lamp, so the bulbs are new. ive had the algae before this lamp though. i only have the lights on for about 6 hours a day. i use tap water, but i have the water sit in gallon containers for a couple days before adding. my humuhumu is perfectly fine in my 75 gallon. my tank is too big for my lion, thats why im getting rid of him.

Big messy fish and tap water would be what I would blame in this situation. Also, not being able to have a clean up crew would, of course, add to the situation as well. I wouldn't add any treatments, like algaefix either. Oftentimes the stock bulbs in a fixture aren't great so you might want to upgrade those, rethink your stocking in your tank so you can have a clean up crew, and switch to r/o water.

Also the 75 is too small for the trigger, it might be ok now but it wont be in a few months. Those guys grow like gang busters and will get very mean and aggressive if they are kept in a small tank

Back