GReen Film Algea !!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So i finally got my Diatoms to go away, i stoped the use of water from my LFS i got a rodi unit and started making my own water with oceanic Salt. Im actually thinking of using Seachem reef salt.

Anyways my diatom problem is gone but now i have a slight Green film algea problem, ofcourse the magfloat ones a day helps get rid of it on the glas but it apears a bit on the sand bed. I got about 60 dwarf ceriths and some nassariouse snails but they dont really take care of it. Im going to start adding fish in about 2 weeks again and i cant wait. I know ones this happens i can add a sand sifting goby and that will help. For now i got some phosban and put it in my canister filter.

HEre are my reading.

amonia -0
Ph 8.2
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10 ppm

Calcium- 490 with API test kit, the REEF stores test kit says 460
KH 9
Phosfates - use to be about .25 before the phosban now it reads 0. With API test.

anyways im currently in the stages of getting a sump toghether and i hope this will help get rid of the green film algea,

Im also going to go get another 2 bottles of copepods, i know they love the stuff.

On another note i already have a kole tang in my QT tank waiting to be added to my DT when the time is right. i just got him so i think im going to wait 3 weeks at the least. Depending on how hes eating add all that.

So any sugjestions on anything els i can do to get rid of the green film algea ??

For the film algae on the glass, unfortunately there's nothing much you can do. It is common to have to clean the glass every few days to keep it clean. Astraea snails help out with that, but you will still have to clean it. As for it being on the sandbed, it's not very common to find the film algae there. Can you post a picture? Your parameters sound really good and you've taken all the right steps to get things into shape, so I'm thinking it will go away on its own as your tank matures.

I just did a water change yesterday so i have to wait and see if it comes back to take a picture. Buts its defenetly light green color.

So It came back today again, But today it looks more like diatoms again. Its still greenish but has a light brown look also.

This makes me wish i would have gone with black sand LOL

Here the pic.

algea.png

I think it might be because of the low flow in that area so i moved a powerhead a bit more lower and aimed it to the glass so that it breaks down the glass and then goes over this spot.

I hope that helps.

Back