green film,on sand

NewBeeMommy1

Reefing newb
Ok if i turn the lights off all day then turn them back on there isnt any green (looks like jelly)gooop on the bottom and on the live rock... i clean it out clean the filters and check the test and all normal...:grumble: well then i have it all gone turn the lights off and go to bed the next day i turn them on leave for work come home that:pooh: is every where ......what can i do...:bowdown:

during the day if you look through one of the sides of your tank if sunlight can go through a panel then it will have a green tint to it and that might be what it is

its film algae very irritating I have it only when I leave all my lights on in my tank

Basically you have to much light to close to your tank try raising your lights higher from the water or put on timmers to turn on after you leave for work

I have a total of 432w t5s so film algae has been with me since I bought those lights all u can do is leave the lights on for less time

Or if your lights are like mine only switch half it on then later switch the other half

My lights have 6 bulbs total and 2 switches one switch for the first and sixth bulb and the other switch for the 2nd thru 5th bulb

What you have is the green verson of red slime.It cyanobacteria.
Its going to happen in new tanks,just like hair algae and diatoms.Your going to get it sooner or later.
Try leaving the lights off for 3 or 4 days,then do a pretty good water change(at least 25%).Cut back on feeding,and add more water flow.It'll also help to run some kind of phosphate media.Something like Phos-Guard or Phos-Ban.
I've found that most of the phosphate test kits wont read any phosphates.Mainly because they are made to detect inorganic phosphate.Not the organic kind that comes from fish waste.

well i just bought my tank new best friend lol and mine a phosban reactor i think a phosphate reactor would also help you in your dilema

Yep,Yote is correct.(I'm sounding like Biff)

It sounds more like green cyano and not film algae.Run phosphate remover(ferric oxide) and continue or increase water changes.

that was going to be my guess green cyano. just give it time and sipon out as fuch as you can. if you can get more flow that would help

Back