green hair algae?

i vote lawnmower blenny.... mine acts like a well.... lawnmower. the little bastard does nothing but chomp algae all day long. hes my hero

You'll also have to be proactive and remove as much as possible by hand.
Once it gets started,then it'll provide its own nutrients by catching detritus and other waste.

I agree with all of the above -- if you don't have a cleaner crew already, get one. I'd say one Mexican turbo snail should be good for algae on the rocks. In the meantime, work on water quality. Do you have a protein skimmer? Are you doing regular water changes? Are you using tap water or RODI water? Do you feed pellets or flake foods? If so, you should really only feed frozen food.

You can also remove as much by hand. Just grab a handful, pluck it out, and throw it in the trash. If the hair is really long, it can be impossible for your cleaner crew to get on top of it and eat it, even if they wanted to.

i just have a few little areas about half the size of a finger nail. it was there when i got the rock. the rock was from another tank. i tried killing it by scrubbing and curing it but it stayed. i do my water changes, use rodi water, water level are all up to par, i have all of the equipment "protien skimmer", and i only use frozen food. i have a cleaning crew just 5 snails and 10 blue leg hermit crabs. not sure of the snails, i also just bought a 2 emerald green crabs, and started a refugium. should i also buy a lawnmower blenny? more snails? my tank is new, but i have been watching it everyday and making sure everything is up to par. i also have a wavemaker with bout 850

The emerald crabs should definitely help. But it sounds like your algae is minor. I'd hold off on the blenny for now, unless you just want the fish.

Back