Green Hard Algae Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponydesigns

Reefing newb
I have hard green algae growing on the glass that the only way is to scrape it off with a blade.
What is causing this, and how to I remedy the problem?

Another question: Where can I get artifical corals for a decent price?
I searched and they are wanting from $25 and up.

Sounds like coralline to me.It comes in green to.

Why waste money on artifical coral?You'll just have to clean them to keep em from looking bad.

a blade is all you can really use. the more often you clean the glass, the less likely the algae will encrust. there is really little else you can do. it is a part of the hobby.

I am curious as to why you are seeking fake coral? I have seen some good looking plastic stuff and my LFS, but it is about the same as a real coral. To keep them clean, you need to add some kind of algae killer to the tank, but that makes it impossible to keep real coral in the future or keep many motile inverts

-Doc

Yeah, fake corals get covered in algae FAST. They turn brown really quickly and they are hard to keep clean. You can find fake corals in regular old pet stores like Petco and Petsmart, but they are expensive. I don't really know why.

Yeah, fake corals get covered in algae FAST. They turn brown really quickly and they are hard to keep clean. You can find fake corals in regular old pet stores like Petco and Petsmart, but they are expensive. I don't really know why.

Because they had to pay those lil slant eyed china folks to make em.:grumble::death::frustrat:

Because they had to pay those lil slant eyed china folks to make em.:grumble::death::frustrat:

I dont know about that causing it to be expensive. That would be about 10% of the price. Another 10% to the government for import taxes and then 10% for shipping and finally 70% for profit.

Brian

Either way,its still American money thats going over seas to pay em to try and kill us with lead based paints.

If so many Americans didn't shop at Walmart for the lowest dollar possible, then there wouldn't be such a high demand for cheapo made in China products.

If so many Americans didn't shop at Walmart for the lowest dollar possible, then there wouldn't be such a high demand for cheapo made in China products.

Once I am rich, I will stop shopping at Wal-mart and do more shopping at Target. I hate to think that I am contributing to cheapo chinese products, other than sweet and sour chicken and fortune cookies ;)

-Doc

I take offense to this SIR, I am a "slant eyed" china folk and do not appreciate such a derogatory statement. My respect for you has dropped a thousandfold.

Tell you what, how about YOU work grossly below minimum wage in a factory here, and find a hundred more willing to do so, and you might be getting somewhere to "keep American dollars here"

Face it, labor costs in the states are ridiculously high, which is why companies outsource. You convince companies to stop caring about profits, and demanding the lowest possible manufacturing cost, and then you force the American public to pay a higher premium for manufactured goods, THEN you can keep your American money in America.

Supply and demand. We wouldn't make the "cheapo Chinese goods" if YOU, the American consumer didn't want to penny pinch.

Are you willing to do all that? Didn't think so.

You get what you pay for.

Suck it up.

I take offense to this SIR, I am a "slant eyed" china folk and do not appreciate such a derogatory statement. My respect for you has dropped a thousandfold.

Tell you what, how about YOU work grossly below minimum wage in a factory here, and find a hundred more willing to do so, and you might be getting somewhere to "keep American dollars here"

Face it, labor costs in the states are ridiculously high, which is why companies outsource. You convince companies to stop caring about profits, and demanding the lowest possible manufacturing cost, and then you force the American public to pay a higher premium for manufactured goods, THEN you can keep your American money in America.

Supply and demand. We wouldn't make the "cheapo Chinese goods" if YOU, the American consumer didn't want to penny pinch.

Are you willing to do all that? Didn't think so.

You get what you pay for.

Suck it up.

Whoa...hold your horses. I know Yote pretty well and he is a pretty nice guy. We have a culture on the forum where we like to tease each other and have fun saying things to make each other blush. It is all done out of fun. We try not to take ourselves too seriously. I promise there was no harm intended with his comment.

-Doc

I remember whem Wal Mart would only sell American made products. It is sad that greed will chage how a business does its practice.

Brian

#1 I DO only buy American.I look at every label before I buy anything.If its not American made,I'll not spend my money on it.The only exception to this rule is firearms made in Brazil and Finland.Which inherently are more expensive than 90% of the domestic arms companys anyway.

#2 If them folks are willing to work for so a low a cost,Then thats their problem.I hate it for em.I really do.Maybe its time for them to set up a couple of labor unions.

#3 Anybody that dont like what I post or how I feel about things is more than welcome to add me to their iggy list.It wont hurt my feelings one little bit.I can NOT and WILL NOT apologize for that.

If it makes you feel any better.I also blame the goverment.The working class man in America gets screwed over just as much as any other worker in any other country.They send our jobs over seas,they raise our taxes,and dont get me started on health care.
Thats how I see it.Take it or leave it.Up to whoever reads it.

Last edited:
I could care less about your political views and what you buy. In fact, I wouldn't have cared if you had just had said "Because it's made in China." It's when you use racial slurs that I begin to care. The use of any racial slurs in any conversation is entirely unnecessary, I don't care if it's a joke, someone will get offended.
You don't see me in here making slurs about caucasians do you? In fact, I have not seen ANY racial slurs here before. Why start now.
Do you even have any Chinese friends? Or Asian friends for that matter? I would assume not, as anyone that are friends with them would not be so ignorant as to call us "slanty eyed."
If you really don't care about offending other people with racial slurs, then, I would hate to see more like-minded individuals such as yourself here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back