Green Mandarin Diet

i read on that site that they will eat plankton. would this be the same kind of plankton that my coco worm would eat?

I belive so, but I'm sure Mandarin's rarely eat plankton. They primairly eat pods and they usually have to be alive. They will sometimes eat frozen pods or even brine shrimp, but that's a big MAYBE. Also, your tank needs to be very established and have excellent water conditions.

That`s mostly all they will eat is pods. I`ve known a few folks that got them to eat mysis shrimp after some time but mostly pods is all they will eat.

ohh. so you kind of have to train them slowly to eat other stuff, huh

I have a small colony of copepods growing in my aquarium, but ill probably be cycling out rocks so i can get them faster. makes sense?

9 times out of 10 a mandrine will starve to death before they'll take any kind of prepared foods.Their too dang picky for their own good.

I've fattened two Mandarins on a diet of orange flying fish row (the sushi eggs on a california roll) and also on "Ocean Nutrition Marine Formula 1 Small Pellets". My MDs will gobble both these foods up the moment I drop them in my tank. I also have a good population of pods and on occasion I've seen an MD eat a bristleworm. I get my fish roe, refrigerated, at an Asian market and ensure it doesn't have vinegar or additives in it.

Wow Sen...you're lucky they eat that stuff for you. I've been wanting a Mandarin very bady, but shy away because of their eating. It just seems like they're too hard to be successful in keeping. Maybe I'll reconsider once my tank has been running longer and I get my fuge set-up w/ a good population of pods.

cool i actually use Ocean Nutrition small pellets. i was also wondering if they eat that since it falls to the bottom pretty quickly. my other fish go crazy for it.

It's best if you make sure the mandarin is eating prepared foods before you buy it. If you see one in a store, ask the salesperson to feed it in front of you. That way you know if it eats frozen/pellets for sure.

They aren't hard to keep if you have a large, mature tank with a refugium. This provides them with a constant source of live food. But they are tough to keep in small, young tanks or tanks without fuges.

My tank has been up and running for a couple of years. i bought the whole set up as is. i see copepods running around at night, but how would i know if it would be enough to keep a mandarin happy?

cool i actually use Ocean Nutrition small pellets. i was also wondering if they eat that since it falls to the bottom pretty quickly. my other fish go crazy for it.

There is a little more to it than just dropping them in. I usually have to drop them in one corner of the tank and distract other livestock while I then drop more pellets or sushi in front of the MD. Sometimes I get lazy and just drop a mass of food in there so the MD can't miss it.

Tristan I would guess you would have plenty of pods in a 55 gallon tank provided as the others have said, that there aren't other fish competing for food. Also if you have plenty of Live Rock.

I think a mandrine would be alright with your fish Tristan.Even they will eat pods,they dont actually spend the day hunting them and picking em off the rocks.
I say get it shot.

Back