Green Water

I used distilled water for top off and now I have a large algae bloom. My tank water is green, inverts are good. All levels are good, Doing a 75% water change today. New skimmer should be in in the next day aswell as uv sterilizer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give us more details?

What are your levels?
What fish (and how many) do you have?
How often are you feeding?
What lights do you have/how long are they on?

Ect.

Algae blooms are pretty normal in the first several months of having your tank set up. A 75% water change is a lot all at once. You might be better off doing a smaller water change (like 25%), waiting a few days and then doing another small water change. I would worry that changing out 75% of your water may do more harm than good.

Yeah, well, that's why we asked for more info. I was thinking maybe he just got done cycling? Tanks been up 1 month, no skimmer yet and doing a 75 percent water change would lead me to believe such a large water change would be at the end of the cycle.

Ah, I get it! Sorry for the the confusion - I was thinking he already had the tank stocked and was concerned that such a large water change would harm inhabitants, particularly a cuc

We need way more information on your setup to provide any sort of help.

With the information provided, I'm going with the sky being blue as the cause of your issues....

Tank has been up for three months. watar is great beside the green algae. I check my water param. twice a week , and i have been doing small water changes like 25% the green algae just got worse. Sterilizer was recommended. Not just running a skimmer. I have a new one that came in and am installing it today . The old one leaked.

You were right fishyreef! His tank is fully stocked. I Nancy Drewed this one all wrong. I blame the clues. Not myself. Ever.
A 75% waterchange is pretty extreme. I wouldn't do it.

I just read a post about not moving your base rock, well I did and im guessing but not sure if this is what caused the bloom. Other than my tank has had perfect param. Will keep you all posted. Thank you

Moving the rocks and sand around can easily cause an algae bloom and/or parameter spike. Nutrients can get released into the water that way.

Yeah it sucks bad but it has started to clear up really well and i took the advice above. I only did about a 40% water change, everyone in the tank seems really happy. just finished checking my lvls and everything is on par.

Last edited:
You were right fishyreef! His tank is fully stocked. I Nancy Drewed this one all wrong. I blame the clues. Not myself. Ever.
A 75% waterchange is pretty extreme. I wouldn't do it.

HAHA! Awesome that I called it on this one - I'm sure that won't be the case next time LOL

Biohazard, are you using tap water to make up your salt water, or RO/DI water? If you've been using tap water, then changing to RO/DI water should help a lot. If you've been using RO/DI, are you making it yourself or buying it from your LFS? If you're making it yourself, it might be time for new cartridges. Changes in the lighting should help, not sure the sterilizer will do much of anything - I know LFS's promote them like they are the best thing since sliced bread, but I think most people with experience here will tell you they haven't made a real difference. Also, if you have a sump up and running you could add some chaeto to it, that should help starve out the other algae, or you could try setting up an algae scrubber (see the DIY section), or could add chaeto to an HOB filter. Good luck!

I buy my saltwater and ro from lfs. i tried the whole distilled water for top off but it made the tank look like someone dumped baby oil in it. wasn't a pretty sight. I keep about 15 gallons of ro/di on hand. i have two hob filter with live rock in them, mainly use them for aeration purposes. I also read that sterilizer where not to good for coral so it will most likely sit in a shelf somewhere. will try the chaeto in the hob. thanks for all the info ladies and gents

Back