Greenhorn with questions

Haakskeka

Reefing newb
So I am brand spanking new to the idea of a saltwater tank tho I have had several freshwaters in the past.

I've been starting my research and have a lot more to do but I have come to my first few questions.

based on what I read I think a 29 gallon tank would be ideal for me, I can not go larger in my apartment and the larger the better for noobs is what I am seeing.
so my local pet store has a bundle pack of a 29 gallon tank with and aquaclear 50 filter w/cartridges, full hood fluorsecent light w/bulb, heater, thermometer, Net and water conditioner.

this is obviously a freshwater set up but heres where my questions lie
1) the filter: Im currently under the impression that if I buy live rock, live sand, and a protien skimmer I would not need this. true or false? if false is this even the type of filter i would need?

2) the lighting: Im aware I should get T5 lighting (not sure what that is yet) or LED lighting. are those just certain types of bulbs that would work in the standard hood or is that a completely different ballgame?

3) the thermometer: do I need anything specific?

4) Is "Base rock" suitable for seeding with live rock? not sure what base rock is I just seen in in the store.

5) What else would I need and would you recommend for a 29 Gallon tank.
ive read that I need a powerhead but have not researched it yet. if it is indeed needed no need to name that yet as i will get to reading into it soon.

The Aquaclear filter is not necessary, nor is any filter on a 29 gallon. Keeping up with your water changes along with having 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon is all you really need. I do run an aquaclear with only the sponge (which I rinse thoroughly in tank water every 3-4 days) just for added water movement along with two powerheads. If you ever need to run carbon, you will have it, but it's not necessary, like I said. I also have a ball of chaeto on top of the sponge acting as a sort of refugium.
There are tons of lighting options. Decide what kinds of corals you want to keep and we can advise you from there. SPS corals and clams need the most light and would need good T5, Metal Halide or proper LED lighting.
You probably need a good 150 watt heater. I prefer the titanium ones so that I have no worry of glass breaking, but there are plenty of good glass heaters.
Dry rock seeded with live rock is fine. Just make sure the rock is reef safe. A lot of people here have gotten their rock from Marco rocks or Bulk Reef Supply.
And yes, powerheads are a must.
Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new addiction!

So I am brand spanking new to the idea of a saltwater tank tho I have had several freshwaters in the past.

I've been starting my research and have a lot more to do but I have come to my first few questions.

based on what I read I think a 29 gallon tank would be ideal for me, I can not go larger in my apartment and the larger the better for noobs is what I am seeing.
so my local pet store has a bundle pack of a 29 gallon tank with and aquaclear 50 filter w/cartridges, full hood fluorsecent light w/bulb, heater, thermometer, Net and water conditioner.

this is obviously a freshwater set up but heres where my questions lie
1) the filter: Im currently under the impression that if I buy live rock, live sand, and a protien skimmer I would not need this. true or false? if false is this even the type of filter i would need?

True, the LR (live rock) provides the necessary area for the beneficial bacteria to grow. No additional filter required. A protein skimmer well helpful also is not necessary. Regular water changes are all that is required. (once a week)

2) the lighting: Im aware I should get T5 lighting (not sure what that is yet) or LED lighting. are those just certain types of bulbs that would work in the standard hood or is that a completely different ballgame?

T5 lighting is completely different. The difference is in the actual diameter of the bulb. The hood that comes with the tank will be a T8 size. Both T5 and LED's will come with their own fixture for a 29g.

3) the thermometer: do I need anything specific?

Nope.

4) Is "Base rock" suitable for seeding with live rock? not sure what base rock is I just seen in in the store.

Base rock is just dry rock. The only thing that is required to call the rock live is the bacteria growing on it. Check out Marcosrocks, or reefrocks.net for some better prices. Within a few weeks the dry rock will become live. A good rule of thumb is 1.5-2 lbs per gallon.

5) What else would I need and would you recommend for a 29 Gallon tank.
ive read that I need a powerhead but have not researched it yet. if it is indeed needed no need to name that yet as i will get to reading into it soon.

A refractometer is a must for measuring salinity. Your LFS will probably try to tell you that a hydrometer is ok to use. Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6-9 months due to becoming inaccurate. I had 2 read differently right out of the package. A powerhead is also needed. The recommended water turnover is 20x-30x per hour.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
?1 - The Aquaclear filter is best suited for freshwater, for a small tank look into getting a HOB (Hang On Back) filter. It is true that you not need the Aquaclear with live rock and sand. The benefit to an HOB filter if you wanted is that the HOB has an area in the filter for a small refugium. You definitely want to invest in a skimmer there are hang on types for small tanks.

?2 - T5 lights require a different size ballast so no they will not work in a standard fresh water aquarium hood. If you are going to do a fish only (no corals) you could use a regular fluorescent bulbs but a T5 would be better. LED's are nice but can be pretty expensive. In this hobby get the best that you can afford, it does not pay to cut corners but you can still do it on a budget.

?3 - Plain old glass thermometer works fine.

?4 - Base rock is fine to seed with live rock, Porous rock works very well. Lots of surface area for beneficial organisms. Check out MarcoRocks Aquarium Products and The Reef Rock Store these are 2 really good places for rock.

?5 - Powerheads like you had mentioned is a definite must lots of options for those look around, Hydor Koralia makes pretty good and affordable ones. Lots of other options to choose from for hardware. Think about an Auto Top Off to control evaporation be sure to top off evaporated water with fresh water not saltwater. Also if you can an RO/DI unit for your water would definitely be a plus.

I would skip that setup -- the vast majority of what it comes with is useless for saltwater. Just get an empty 29 gallon tank instead, since you will have to buy all the other equipment anyways. :)

Wow guys thanks very much for the replies and in such short time, my initial instinct was that that setup was worthless for me. I am working alot of hours this weekend so hopefully sunday I can spend some hours doing more research, I will post again when I have my tank and more of an idea of what I would like to do :)

I recently set up a standard 29g tank that is in the process of cycling right now.
Here is a list of things I bought at the LFS:
30x20x18 tank
100watt heater
Small 250gph powerhead
10lbs. live rock
20lbs. live sand
10lbs. dry white sand
Thermometer
Substrate Vacuum (I find these work so well as a syphon and they only cost a few dollars)
Reef Salt (I currently use Kent's but am considering switching)
Saltwater Master Test Kit
Reef Master Test Kit
Purple Tech (optional but I'm trying to get a nice covering of bright purple algae in my tank)
Hydrometer

This is a list of things I bought from various sources online:
Hydor Koralia 750gph powerhead (awesome purchase)
Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting system
22lbs. dry rock (from Marcorocks....good stuff)

Tank looks great and is approaching the end of the cycle. As soon as I have some algae growth I will add a CUC and after that (as long as that goes well) I will add one Black-edge occelaris clownfish and some easy-to-care-for corals like mushrooms, leathers and zoas.

Things I need to buy still:
I want to run a system with Purigen. I have a cannister filter that I'm going to do this with.
I need to buy a protein skimmer but I haven't decided which one yet. I want to spend about $100 on it and have found a few I like but I'm just not sure which way I want to go with it.

Last edited:
Back