Greetings from Germany!

mbrem

Reefing newb
Hi everyone! We just got a 105 gallon aquarium from another military family that is PCSing soon. I figured we'd start our salt water hobby now since my husband and I have always wanted to. Of course, I chose when we're living in Germany and don't have very easy access to a store with salt water fish or corals. Oh well, that's what the internet's for, right? Anyway, we took a break from fish when we started having kids, and never had a salt water aquarium. Needless to say, I need all pointers out there. I prefer cycling new tanks with some gravel from an already established tank, generally from a friend or local store, however there aren't any salt water stores around. Can I use gravel from a fresh water tank to do this? Basically, any and all pointers on starting and maintaining a salt water tank are welcome. As well as reliable online stores for fish and corals. Thanks!

welcome to the site. you can not use freshwater gravel to start your cycle. Most of us use live rock. It comes with live bacteria on it. Being that you are in Germany...I have no idea if you can get that or if it would be cost prohibited. There are bacteria bottles that you can add for getting you tank going. I know instant ocean makes one but I have never used it. If that is what it takes to get it going then why not. Read read and then read some more about starting a reef tank..:D

Hello and welcome!

You can just toss in a piece of raw table shrimp and the tank will cycle. If you can find some live rock the whole process will go faster, but you don absolutely need it.

Hello and welcome!

You can just toss in a piece of raw table shrimp and the tank will cycle. If you can find some live rock the whole process will go faster, but you don absolutely need it.

Back