Hair algae for dinner?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Will an lawnmower blenny eat hair algae? I bought a clam shell w/ ricordia's on it that had a small patch of hair algae. I've tried to keep pulling it off, but can never git it all off. Over the past week the hair algae has spread to almost every piece or LR in my tank and powerheads. If not an lawnmower...what will eat the hair algae? I don't want to get a sea hare.

Phosphates 0
Nitrates 0

You might cut back your photo-period till you get it under control. A lawnmower will eat HA but it shouldnt be spreading that quick with 0 nitrates are you sure your test kit is good?

The test kits should be good. I bought all new ones less than a month ago. The algae is weird. It just grows in little clumps the size of a dime or nickle. Its not totally covering the rocks. I think it spread faster becuse when I pulled off the HA originally some of it got sucked up into the powerheads and blew little pieces all over the tank. I'd like to get a lawnmower blenny so I don't mind there being some in there. I just want to make sure they will actually eat it.

Last edited:
The problem is, it's actually several different species of algae (or even diatoms) that have the appearance of hair algae, so even if a fish likes one "type" it may not like another. I saw this on reefbuilders the other day, tho, so maybe it will help.

Back