Hair Algae Products?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
are there any I can use? Most sites I check out on ways to combat hair algae tell me to cut lights, cut nitrates and cut phosphates. Well if I could cut nitrates I would have already, I do weekly water changes, I have a phosphate reducer in my filter, and by cutting lights wouldn't I kill all my coral?

I have been battling diatrus or diatoms or whatever it is for about 2 weeks and now I am starting to see the tiniest bits of green hair like stubble and I know its just gonna be a full lawn soon. I'd rather get it under control now rather than later.

Leaving the lights off for a few days wont hurt anything.Corals dont get sunlight 365 days a year.There times that it'll be stormy and dark for a week or so on the reefs.
I've left mine off for a full week.Didnt bother anything except the algae.

Not much you can do about it in a new tank, it's a normal phase. The only product I would trust in my tank is Marine SAT (the only place that sells it online that I know of is www.aquaticexchange.com). It's expensive, but safe, and it works.

Margarita snails are worthless. They'll just cook to death. They aren't reef animals, most come from the coast of the Pacific Northwest and boil at the temps we keep our tanks at. Mexican turbo snails are a totally different type of snail.

Reeffreak speaks the truth. Mexican Turbos DEVOUR short, stubbly hair algae. Your corals only need about 3-4 hours of light a day to thrive. We keep them on longer for our own selfish viewing purposes. If you want to turn them off for a few days, go ahead. Patience is a big part of battling algae. that and good water quality. good luck. Rule of thumb with turbos, 1 snail per 10 gallons of water or they will starve.

-Doc

I have forgotten whether you have a sump or not. Macro algae in a sump or refugium would work real well right about now. While your display tank is young you could even keep some in there without it crowding out your corals. Trim it regularly and just throw away your nitrates and phosphates as macro algae trimmings. As your tank matures your system will handle the byproducts of the bio filtration better and the macro algae probably wont be needed for nutrient control anymore. It takes time though. No chemical you can add to your water will remove the nutrients. It might make them easier to skim or it might cause them to bind with something or maybe insure the proper bacteria are in your system, but adding something can never remove something. Change it maybe, but to what. I have never heard of a chemical that is reef safe that is a denitrifier. Ugh, algae!

Back