hair algea

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
i have a bloom of green hair algea my levels are fine but i cant get rid of it.
the only thing i can think of is phosphates (THANKS WONTON) what can cause phosphates? is there something i am missing?

What are your trates?Do you use flakes(this could be a big reason)?How long do you leave your lights on?All these could be potential for hair algae.

Well, even if the tests are reading 0 on the two trates. Phosphates and Nitrates, this could be because the HA is using them up faster than is being produced in your tank.

First couple questions.

Are you using RO water or tap water?
Tap water contains(usually) higher levels of the phosphates and nitrates which can feed them

What are you feeding?
Dried flake food usually contains phosphates. A lot of people only use frozen live food because of this

How much are you feeding?
I feed my fish twice a week. Once on sunday with a small piece of frozen food mixture. Then once on wenesday with a filter feeder mixture. I am still having toruble keeping the HA away. But it is begining to recede. It amazes me how much we as hobbyists actually over feed our animals. Most will do great with light feedings. Alowing them to pick at the rockwork and hunt for their own food. Pods are crawling around on every piece of LR even if you cant see them

How often and amount of your water changes?

Increasing these two with RO water will help keep the these levels down.

I feed everyother day. Two Mysis cubes frozen as i have 6 fish and 2 anenomies. I change twice a month 20% using RO/DI water

I also suggested to rinse out the frozen food. Even if you don't believe it would have phosphates, it doesn't hurt to rinse. with ro water.

Nemo, your tank is new as well, so the hair algae is somewhat inevitable. Generally, when a new algae appears, it blooms, then dies back into an equilibrium. If you listen to the advice above, it should go away soon.

Nemo, your tank is new as well, so the hair algae is somewhat inevitable. Generally, when a new algae appears, it blooms, then dies back into an equilibrium. If you listen to the advice above, it should go away soon.

Same advice I got and now my hair algea is gone my CUC helped out greatly with this though. Once added 48hrs later algea was gone and not resurfaced.

RIJohn, what CUC organisms did you use?

I am dealing with a terrible hair algae outbreak. This stuff is all over my tank. (I blame this on the fact that have been using reef crystals that were sent to me insted of the Instant Ocean I ordered, but that is probably just superstision).

I have never had such a bad algae problem before. I use RO/DI, I feed very sparingly, and I change the H2O about 30 gallons a week on a 120 tank. I always feel like I have a lot of experience in this hobby and that I have many answers, but I have been fighing this algae for months. I'm almost ready to tear the tank down. I moved a lot of rock into my sump and turned the lights off underneath. I remain in algae hell though.

RIJohn, what CUC organisms did you use?

I am dealing with a terrible hair algae outbreak. This stuff is all over my tank. (I blame this on the fact that have been using reef crystals that were sent to me insted of the Instant Ocean I ordered, but that is probably just superstision).

I have never had such a bad algae problem before. I use RO/DI, I feed very sparingly, and I change the H2O about 30 gallons a week on a 120 tank. I always feel like I have a lot of experience in this hobby and that I have many answers, but I have been fighing this algae for months. I'm almost ready to tear the tank down. I moved a lot of rock into my sump and turned the lights off underneath. I remain in algae hell though.

Add an algae scrubber (if you're using a sump). it drives me nuts that people won't try this thing...It will ELIMINATE all of your algae and you'll have zero nitrates within 4 weeks and as long as you clean it once a week, (Which takes less than 10 minutes) you'll never have algae or nitrates again. I've had 2 separate tanks set up with an algae scrubber. I've never had 1 piece of algae...Check out the DIY section.

Back