hammer not extending all the way

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have had this hammer coral for about four or five months. It has been doing great. It started as one colony and has now split itself into two colonies. Well ever since it split it hasn't been extending all the way like it used to. It used to be huge when it was extended and now it should be bigger since its split but it looks kinda smaller bc it won't extend its body all the way. The polyps on the end that actually make the hammer share are all puffed up and extended like normal but the fleshy body underneath the polyps is what's not extending all the way. All I have close to it is a frogspawn which is doing great..this hammer hasn't been hampered with or moved at all. The flow hasn't been changed. Nothing has changed in my system to upset it. Idk what the problem is.

My hammer corals always do that when they split. It usually lasts for about 2 weeks, then they puff up again. One of my hammers started with 2 heads...now (1 yr later) It has 8 heads so I've had that scare of yours 4 times already. Give it time. It'll pass.

My hammer corals always do that when they split. It usually lasts for about 2 weeks, then they puff up again. One of my hammers started with 2 heads...now (1 yr later) It has 8 heads so I've had that scare of yours 4 times already. Give it time. It'll pass.

chuck sounds like he has the answer BUT I have heard so many say "nothing changed" only to discover that something did change. Check ALL your chems.

Sen I've been trying to think about anything at all that has changed and the only thing that has is my salinity. I like to keep it at 1.025 but during the past month or so it has slowly creeper up to a touch above 1.026. Could that be it? If it is that when I do my weekly water changes can I put in water that's less salty..have the new water be 1.023. Would that bring it back down gradually? Other than that literally nothing has changed. I haven't gotten anything new. The params are all the same. Temp is the same. Light is the same. Is there something I could be forgetting?

Back