hang on Cannister vs bio wheel

surferido

funky buttlovin
im looking to get a new filter for my SW tank and im looking at the marineland magnum cannister filter. My question's are: are they more expensive to upkeep and what would be a good hang on filter (due to i have the tank on my dresser). thanks

You shouldn't get either of them. Both HOB biowheel and canister filters tend to lead to high nitrate levels in saltwater tanks. With a 29 gallon tank, I'd either get a small protein skimmer, or just do larger than normal water changes to keep the parameters in check.

Like Biff said forget those canisters and biowheels. I would definitly go with a HOB skimmer. The first time you empty that skimmer cup your gonna say "OMG that was in my tank?"

So I've been running my CPR backpack skimmer plus my fluval 404. Can i drop the fluval and just rund the skimmer or is that not a good idea

I had a canister filter on my 55 gallon before i knew better. lets just say disaster!!! I even took out all the bio balls when my nitrates spiked and replaced it with live rock bits, but this must have made to much pressure on the filter and it started leaking and no matter how i tried to alter it for the live rock it just would not work.
I agree with everyone else, go with more water changes, protein skimmer and even add some more rock if you can for filtration stay away from canister filters your wasting your money.

I don't have a sump though..but I do have a lot of LR..and my skimmer is rated at 75 gallons..so I can still take off the fluval? If u guys kill all my sh<¥ were gonna have fightin words on here..there's at least a pound of rock per gallon of water. So let me know what you guys and gals think

well i dont think you will need a hang on /canister filter unless your like me and having some problems with nitrates and phosphates, i did start running one then so i had some where to put my chem pure an phosphate pad and i have kept it there ever since, now that i am moving over to tank with a sump i will find a place in there for my chem pure and phosphate pads cause apparently i dont know how to feed fish.

if you remove a existing filter just keep an eye on your levels for awhile to be safe.

I don't have a sump though..but I do have a lot of LR..and my skimmer is rated at 75 gallons..so I can still take off the fluval? If u guys kill all my sh<¥ were gonna have fightin words on here..there's at least a pound of rock per gallon of water. So let me know what you guys and gals think

The only reason to have a sump is that it adds more water volume, its a great place to hide equipment(although I like the sump as much as DT), it's easier to do tank maintance at the sump, it's easier to remove water for testing, and it's a great place to grow cheato.

So basically the sump is just an extension of the aquarium. We do it so the DT looks nicer and we have more water to play with is all. You can do everything in your DT that you can do in a sump it's just going to make the tank more crowded and you will be able to see all the equipment is all.

Oh and be ready for a fish to die it's gonna happen to everyone at some point.

Back