Has this happened to anybody?

xlayedoutx

Reefing newb
Has anybody had a glass tank shatter or leak on them. Is there anyway to prevent this. The tank i'm interested in is an 80 gallon glass tank. I've heard nothing but horror stories from various people I know about coming home from vacation and theit tank leaked all the water out to coming home to a shattered tank. If i'm going to do this I want to do it right and if that means saving up more and waiting a little longer to get an acrylic tank then I'll do it. But if you don't forsee any problems with a glass tank then I can just go that route.

I personally have never had a problem with glass tanks of any size. Both FW and SW. I actually like the glass more due to how easy it is to clean stuff like coraline algae off of.

I also have had both and prefer glass over aqrylic, however, acrylic is clearer, and is much easier to work with. Standard glass has a green tint to it so I would recommend starfire glass for the front panel (will cost the cost of the tank again) which will give the same clarity that an acrylic does. acrylic tends to scratch over time. tops of acrylics are different from glass in that they have openings in the top centers and some equipment is hard to mount. so check it out well before you decide. good fishin

Thanks for the info. Heading back to the LFS tomorrow to take another look. Still not going to buy just yet. Have another book to read still. LOL

Back when i was young my parents had a 55 freshwater tank
One night the seals gave way and it burst

This tank was in a spot that direct sunlight would hit it for part of the day in addition my mom used windexx when cleaning it. I believe the windex may have eatin away at the seal (that compiled with the direct sun light for a couple hours a day)

Just a theory but i don't go near my tank with windex :-)

Back