Have a question.

MissEden

Reefing newb
Hello My name is Eden, I have been working with salt water for a little while now but I am still learning. I use to have a 75gal saltwater tank running but moved cross states and had to leave it behind. I now have started my new 55gal tank a little while ago and just added two Black Saddle Back Clownfish, they took to my anemone instantly; but now the larger of the two(the female) is attacking/nipping at the fins of the smaller one(the male) every time he gets near the anemone. When I bought them they were the only two in the tank and the guy said they were a pair. In my old tank I had two Percula Clownfish and they never nipped and always stayed right with each other. Is there a reason why my female is acting like this? Please Help?

Hello and welcome to the site...that's normal behavior of clown fish. The females are just aggressive and sometimes even towards the male and will become possessive with their host.

Helle and welcome Eden.Simply put,she is a bitch.I have the same ongoing problem with my saddlebacks.To go one step further,she is also nipping at the tail of my yellow tang (1/4 of her tail gone).The only fish that stands up to her is my Gramma.

Back