Heater issue

reefkeeper2013

Reefing newb
Ok if it aint one thing its another with this tank recently. I have a 500w heater that the controller part went out but the other part works it takes the heater 1hr to raise the tank water 1 degree. I have two options I can move all my coral to a 10 gal or i can rig a timer to run the heater just need to know how long to set it for. It has to be able to work for 2 weeks average low temp in my house is 75 or is it safe if it is at 75 degrees

With the added Pumps and Powerheads and skimmer that most people have, with the house temps not being any lower than 75, i think you would be safe for a couple weeks. As Long as your house temps really dont go under 75.

Ok if it aint one thing its another with this tank recently. I have a 500w heater that the controller part went out but the other part works it takes the heater 1hr to raise the tank water 1 degree. I have two options I can move all my coral to a 10 gal or i can rig a timer to run the heater just need to know how long to set it for. It has to be able to work for 2 weeks average low temp in my house is 75 or is it safe if it is at 75 degrees

Then, I'd start looking into a temperature controller to run your heater. Something you can trust with your investment in those living creatures.

Then, I'd start looking into a temperature controller to run your heater. Something you can trust with your investment in those living creatures.

Exactly!!!!
NEVER trust a heater that's rigged up to a timer. If the controller isn't working, then the heater isn't working, plain and simple.

My advice, go get 2X 250 watters. That way if one sticks on, it wont boil the tank.
ALWAYS think redundancy.

Back