Heating issues / DIY fans

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. I am having serious heating problems since I started running a light in fuge for my chaeto. I have been running the light continuously whenever the dt lights are not on. I have seen several people successfully use computer fans to drop the temp in their tank. My tank is currently running 82 degrees. I have shut off the fuge light and am wondering if the fans will work on a 75 gallon tank? If so I can pretty easily put something together with some plexiglass or acrylic to put over the top of my return pump in fuge.

Fans work wonders, but adding glass or acrylic covers will trap in the heat and prevent water from evaporating. This will cause more heat issues and also inhibit gas exchange causing a possible lack of Oxygen in the tank.

you may have the wrong idea. i am not making a acrylic lid with a fan mounted to it. The acrylic lid would be twofold in purpose. It is a mount so it can lay across the top of the fuge. and to keep the fan sealed from water. computer fans have horrible insulation and i do not want my system shorting out. It would be a box around the fans, not a lid for the fuge. of course, it would be cut out where the fans spin.
Another idea i just got was i could just put the acrylic on the sides so i could notch and mount it to my fuge but have less area closed off. What would be a good epoxy so i can watertight what i need to on the fan though? Is it even possible to make a completely watertight computer fan? Lol

Last edited:
I use this :
p_25718_FS34820P.jpg

Back