Hello All

thanks! I went with 100 lbs....I figured for a 75 that was a good start, but all the rocks were good size so it filled up pretty quickly

Also.....I am thinking I am going with the foxface.....I would like to add a couple of clowns....(percs I think).....a foxface.....some sort of a wrasse, and down the road some type of mandarin once things are better established..

a foxface would look great in that tank. clowns are a standard fish (I have them) that fare well as the first fish in the tank. Foxface do not like competition for food, so if you get one, make sure it doesn't have bigger tankmates that will compete for food.

As for a manderin goby...skip it. Why add a fish that will just die? ask us again in a year, that is how long it will take before you will have a mature enough tank to support one.

-Doc

Nice rock placement.It looks like your off to a great start.
The orange zoos are my favorite.

Yes,like Doc mentioned.Mandarins need a very mature system.Wait at least 8 months.

Thanks for the nice comments. The orange are by far my favorite...I am starting to see some good growth througout.......On the mandarin....I know from reading through the forum they need to be in very WELL established tanks.....I was thinking quite a few months down the road....like middle to end of summer...that said they do seem difficult to keep so i may just chuck that idea....I will probably add the clowns next....after that I was thinking the wrasse, probably lunar or sixline, and I like the yellow as well........then the foxface......is that order okay and any thoughts on the wrasse?

The lunare wrasse is not reef safe. It will eat shrimp, crabs and small fish. If you are trying to decide between that and the sixline, go with the sixline.

You could get a mandarin in a few months IF it eats frozen food. It's hard to find ones that eat frozen food; most will only eat live food, which is why they're hard to keep -- they eventually starve to death. If you see one at your LFS, be sure to ask the guy to feed it in front of you. If it takes the frozen food, you can go for it. If not, pass on it.

I agree with Biff about the lunar wrasse. they get pretty big. If you are interested in a good wrasse, I have an ornate wrasse in with a reef and he has been quite a model citizen, altho they are rumored to eat snails and crabs, I have not seen it. He lets the cleaner shrimp do their thing as well. Just add the cleaners in before the wrasse. A yellow coris wrasse would also be a good idea or be really safe and try one of the many fairy wrasses, they are beautiful.

Just skip the manderin goby.

So Biff, do you ever sleep? up posting at 2am and again at 9am? wow. I thought I was bad....

-Doc

I slept last night. Between 3 am and 8 am :).

I have big plans for today! I was so excited I woke up earlier than I should have. You know how it is, when you're so excited you can't sleep? But you want to sleep because you know that sleeping is the fastest way to pass time? It's such a cruel paradox!

they have medication for that. I do enjoy a good sleeping pill now and again. Hope your fun plans pan out for you. I am looking forward to a long day spent lounging around in my underwear

-Doc

lol...doc asked the question i constantly wonder.....how does biff have time to be on here 24/7.....seriously...its nuts! slightly impressive...im thinkin there are like two of her

Gotcha.........I mis-spoke/typed :)......I am considering the Six line and the Fairy...I guess I typed lunar as I saw one at the lfs yesterday that was HUGE....I knew it would not work as I had read they will eat or mess with about everything in a reef....

I may go six line then....should I go foxface first or six line (after the clowns)....or should I change and get something besides the six line?....

btw I purchased a canopy/hood....it is nice and tall...I have room for another set of lights (plenty of space width and height).....i have the coralife 48" PC 260 watt w/lunar already.

should I add a T5 fixture? I would like to stay around 200..but I figure I could get my watts per gallon close to 7 or 8

Sorry for all the questions you guys are a WEALTH of knowledge.

if you already have PC lighting, I would stick with another set of PC lights. If you add T-5 lighting, it will vastly outshine the PC lights and will look awkward in your tank. If you are wanting to go with SPS corals and clams, upgrade to all T-5s. If you want soft corals and LPS corals, your PC lights are great and get another bank of those lights. They will for sure keep you under $200

-Doc

Back