Hello all...

johnhawk811

Reefing newb
VERY new to saltwater aquariums. Had freshwater for a long time. Buddy set up a 90 gal saltwater and I got interested. Had a 5 gallon Eclipse corner tank that had no fish in it so I've converted it. Today I added water and 3.5 pounds of liver rock. Only 3-4 hours and I'm already seeing things happen to the rock that is quite exciting.

Looking forward to reading all of your inputs and experiences.

John

wow, a 5 gallon tank will be a challenge for you to say the least. and i dont even know of any fish that will be happy in a tank that small. but anyways welcome to the site, and ask all the questions you have so that you can make this a successful start to your new addiction

Hi and welcome!

If it is a 5-gallon tank, you will have a hard time doing saltwater with it. Those tanks are really made for freshwater. You would be able to keep one small fish in it, maybe a clown goby or a firefish. The lights are not sufficient for any corals.

I would suggest upgrading to a tank more suitable for saltwater before you get too invested in the Eclipse.

If it is 5 gallons you will have to top off the water about 2 times a day to keep the salinity at a stable level. Maybe he ment a 52 gallon corner tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a big challenge ahead. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

Yeah, I was able to replace it with a spiral florecent that's 60 watts bright but only burns at 14 watts. This doesn't melt my cover or overheat the water but is plenty bright. GE, the maker of the bulb calls it a 'daylight'. I'll be adding some pictures from the first couple of days.

Thanks,
John

Back