Hello..eh!!!

Of course you can use base rock,which is quiet a bit cheaper to bulid rockwork with.Then seed it with a few pounds of the live stuff.

I may have missed it, but you don't have to use all live rock. You can use dry base rock and seed it with live rock. The good stuff on the live rock will multiple, spread to your base rock, and make it live rock. You can save a bundle this way. I paid under $2 a pound for dry rock.

Also, you may be able to find live rock on Craig's List or other such sites. Just make certain you test the rock with a little vinegar. If the rock is calcium based, the vinegar will fizz on the rock (someone else please help clarify if I'm not describing it right). Again, it will save you a lot of $$$. Live rock at my LFS is $8.99 a pound, $8.50 if you buy ten pounds or more. I bought a few pounds to seed the other rock.

Edit: OK, Yote beat me to the post by a few seconds :grumble:

I just go by when my email notification comes through. It's all good ...

Edit: Wonder if the time stamp is when I first post or when I edit the post?

Ok, so then instead of buying a ton of live rock and spending tons of money..I can just buy a bit of live rock, and a bunch of base rock and I should be ok?! My next question is then..how much live rock is enough for my 77ga tank? Obviously the more rock the less time it'll take to acclimate my tank and vice versa. Any suggestions?

the amount of rock you have has nothing do due with the amount of time it takes to cycle the tank. and i would do about 70lbs base rock and 5 pounds live rock

Oh!! I figured the more live rock..the quicker the acclimation due to the organisms in it. That's why I figured if there were very little live rock it would take longer.

If you used all cured LR your cycle wouldn't take as long. You could even miss it completely or just have a mini cycle. But if money is a issue I would go with mostly base rock. You'll need 1-2 pounds per gallon. I would get 10% LR and rest base.

Piggy is right on -- 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. So for your tank, 80 to 160 lbs total. She is also right in saying that if you use all live rock, your cycle will be quicker, and your tank will be ready for fish faster. If you use a lot of base rock, it will take time for the bacteria to colonize the base rock.

Piggy is right on -- 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. So for your tank, 80 to 160 lbs total. She is also right in saying that if you use all live rock, your cycle will be quicker, and your tank will be ready for fish faster. If you use a lot of base rock, it will take time for the bacteria to colonize the base rock.

I learned from a pro.

if you are going to do a FOWLR predator tank, i dont think damsels would be a bad idea, they make great lionfish food!! or at least mine did. i know, i know, its mean, but it still makes for fun in the tank!!!

Hey everyone..
Just an update..I've got my live-sand in, and a little live-rock, as well. I checked my salinity, as well as my Kh, and my Ph. Everything looks good. As far as I know..I'm ready for some fish. Right now, I'm looking at an Emperor Angelfish and/or a Lyretail Wrasse. Any thoughts on either or both fish? Thanks for all the wisdom. take care, all!!
Kennan

if this is for the 77 gallon then i say go for the emperor but if it is for then 35 gallon then dont even think about it. and what are your parameter readings

Back