Hello everyone from the sunny shire!

VickyLou

Reefing newb
Hello everyone!

I'm Victoria from Gloucestershire, UK! My family & I have had our 35l Bi-Ube since Christmas 2007 & recently set up our new 175l aquarium. Our Bi-Ube currently contains two clownfish named Nemo & Krusty, two neon blue damsel fish named Cinderella & Rapunzel & a hermit crab called Scratchy. The 175l new set up isn't meant to have any inhabitants yet but we discovered a cheeky little crab on our live rock yesterday (St Patrick's Day) who therefore has been aptly named Paddy!

:question: I'm looking for any useful tips on a larger set up & this unknown crab. He's a red / brown colour, about 1 1/2 inches wide with bright red eyes & chunky pincers (of the same size, so we already know he's not a fiddler).

:question: Also we have a small black creature that looks a bit like a minature sea urchin, it lives in our live rock & everytime you move your head round to look at it, it disappears (so I'm guessing it can see!?) We have no idea what it is so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! :D

Welcome to the site Victoria.
Is very possible that your little blck critter is an urchin.Their cool lil guys that love to munch algae.As for the crab,theres only several million kinds,so it may be hard to get a positive ID on it.
Post some pics when you get a chance.We'd love to see your tanks.

Welcome to living reefs Victoria. You will have better luck getting your questions answered in the regular forums. Photos always help too.

Hello all!

We took our little crabby friend down to the place we usually get our aquarium equipment & fish themselves from & it's bad news! :shock: Paddy had to go, as the guy said "the bigger the claws, the wider the menu!" & we didn't want to jeopardise our fish due to be introduced to the tank in two weeks time as well as our cleaning crew who went in today!

We spent a fortune! Two fire shrimp, two cerith snails, one money cowrie, one cone shell hermit crab & another two snails which I can't remember the name of! (Useless!) :frustrat: They're all loving their new environment!

We also bought two trochus snails & a hermit crab with black & white legs yesterday which we have introduced to our Bi-Ube & will be added to the 175l set up when our two Andaman damsels & Common Clownfish are in two weeks time! :bounce:

I shall post some pictures soon guys!

Last edited:
We've had our damsels for a few months & they've been fine. If anything it's the clownfish that we have to watch - the female especially. She nipped my hand whilst I was rearranging some rocks & sometimes goes for the damsels but they're too quick for her! :sfish:

We fear it may have been the clownfish who killed our cleaner shrimp as well, as we didn't have the damsels at the time & found both shrimp dead with no obvious signs of the c.o.d within two or three days of each other. :(

Thanks for the heads up on the cowrie Bifferwine, we won't be having corals in our tank for a while yet but I'll bare it in mind! :D

Back