Hello Everyone!!

reefrider

Reefing newb
My name is Marc and I am new to this site. I have a 75gal reef tank that I've had set up for eight years now. The last two years I have been running it as a natural reef and by that I mean no mechanical filtration at all. The only thing running is two powerheads for current and the lighting system which is 440w VHO. It has apx 75lbs of crushed coral/sand mix for the bottom and around 125lbs of live rock which has been in since day one. As far as the coral goes for soft's there are Leather corals, Xenias, hairy green mushrooms(tons), blue mushrooms, varigated mushrooms, lots of green star polyps. For the hard corals one cup coral, meat coral, two types of brain coral. Most of the things have been growing and reproducing like crazy. The critters include one scarlet cleaner shrimp, two brown and one green brittle stars, three sand stars, one Sally lightfoot crab, a large mixture of red/blue leg hermits and several different types of snails. The fish include one yellow tang, three blue damsels, one cardinal bangii, one mandrin dragonet, one clownfish. Of all the creatures in the tank my favorite is the large green brittle star especially at feeding time.....it is amazing to see how efficiently and fast he can move when he wants to.

I do have a question is there anyone else out there that is having as good of luck as I've had running a tank is way. Mine is own display in the showroom area where I work and everyday I have people come into the shop that always tell me(even people that have or have tried reef tanks) that they've never seen one as nice as mine.

I look forward to reading various posts because it is always nice to hear what other people are doing and finding others tricks for things that either work or do not.

I will try and post some photos at a later time because the only ones I have right now are to large of files to be uploaded so I will reshoot later in a lower format.

Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings and have a great day!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Total self sufficiency is my ultimate goal as well. I think it's pretty cool that everything in the ocean has a job to do and I'm trying to emulate that in my tank. Congrats on successfully doing it tho.

you can use photobucket to upload pic to even large ones and than just post the image code here where you type the message.

Thanks for the welcome guys and the great suggestions. I will be out of pocket for about a week but will try to get pictures posted next week and respond to questions then.

Back