Hello everyone

CandyCane

Reefing newb
Hello community at Living Reefs,
I'm Candice and my husband is Chris. We recently were given a 40 breeder by my wonderful sister Christine, and after a week of discussing and visiting every reef store located in Panama City we decided to do a saltwater tank. I have to say that since standing up the tank (about a month now) We are seriously hooked. My husband picked up a used 75 gallon tank and is currently refurbishing a bused up stand and canopy. Ill post some pics of the before and after. We are about 2 weeks from getting the 75 up and running. The plan is to move the contents of the 40 breeder over and then do a local tank in the 40 (for the bedroom). We have some questions regarding lighting for the 75 though. We want to do hard and soft corals and anemones. We are getting conflicting opinions on the type of lighting. We wanted to do a T5 bar with 6 bulbs (3 of the day bulbs and 3 actinic) vs. Halides. Any help would be great.

Thanks everyone

Candice and Chris

Candice and Chris

Both will work. You will need at least 4 watts per gallon. I never had halides, but my t5's work just fine for me. AND WELCOME TO THE SITE

You could also combine the two in a fixture. T5/MH lighting combined fixture. The goal is at least 4 watts per gallon and more for SPS and Clams.

Welcome to the site. We are glad you're here! :wave:

Welcome to the the site!

T5's will work for you brilliantly,you could even keep some sps corals near the top with T5.Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the reef Candice.
6X 54 watt T-5 bulbs with individual reflectors will be plenty of light over your 75 for anything you want to keep.

Hi and welcome! Either of the lights will be fine (as others have said). I, personally prefer T5s to MH, but it's all a matter of personal preference. You should go to a few fish stores and look at their tanks that use the different types of lights, and see which ones you prefer the look of better. MH will be more expensive than T5.

Back