Hello from buffalo grove, il

belochka37

Reefing newb
Hello everyone!
I live in Buffalo Grove, IL and new to this site. Actually, I would like to saltwater aquarium, but have no idea how to start. I guess, first i have to buy aquarium. Nonetheless, I am looking for saltwater aquarium. Please, let me know, if anyone selling one near to me. 100 miles away will be fine.
Send your offers to me at [email protected]

Learn all you can before you start and you'll thank yourself later. Read read read and when you think you got it read some more. DO you understand the nitrogen cycle, do you know what the perameters should be at salinity, ph calcium ect...? You'll need to know all this before you start.

Nothing in the hobby goes fast except the bad things, You'll need to let your tank cycle for about 1 month before you can add anything, and then when it's done cycling you should only add 1 maybe two small fish at a time to avoid starting another cycle and killing everything in your tank.

I would suggest going to your library and picking up some books on saltwater tanks and read the articals tab at the top of this page, then when you have questions about it post them here. I can't stress it enough, but there is sooo much to learn if you want to have a happy tank so learn all you can before you start. I read up for 1 year before I started, but it can be done alot sooner than that.

What size tank are you wanting? Are you wanting a reef or FOWLR (fish only with live rock) Are there certain fish you're wanting? If so then you should buy a tank the size that the fish that you're wanting needs. You can check craigslist.com and and look in the Chicago area and find some good deals there, but first find the size tank you need. and learn read learn read.LOL

Hello Bobby!
Thank you for your suggestion. I know it is not that easy, but always wanted and now decided. If i will buy a tank, then i will start research. I like tropical fish that lives only in min 75 gal. If you know that someone selling, let me know. But for now, I am blind in fish world.

Hello and welcome! The bigger your starting tank, the easier. Bigger tanks are easier to keep water quality high, and are more forgiving of "newbie mistakes". Good luck on your tank search -- I'm trying to sell my 240-gallon, but I think I'm probably too far away from you for that :)

Keep checking Craig's List on a daily basis -- that's where a lot of people find great deals.

Welcome to the site.
North Ga to far to drive? I'd make you a hell of deal on a 75gal.:D
Bobbys right,read and research all you can.Its not that the hobby is all that hard,it just requires an understanding of how things work.Plus the research will help when you run into one of the LFS guys thats just after a big sale.

Back