Hello new here. Have some questions?? Here is my set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasscuba

Reefing newb
Hello. My name is Scott. I am 36 and have had aquariums for 30 years but this is my first saltwater. I have recently converted my 125 gallon fresh into salt.

I am using

(2) Penguin 300 GPH Bio-wheel filters.
(1) Fluval 405...340 GPH canister filter.
(2) Tronic 200 watt glass heaters.
(1) Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Mag 3 pump.
(2) 30 watt 18,000K Power-Glo High Intensity Florescent.
(1) Aquaclear 500 Powerhead...900GPH.
(1) Powersweep PS-40 Powerhead....270 GPH.

I have added

80 pounds of Florida crushed coral
120 pounds total of Fiji live rock and Tonga Branch.
30 pounds of base rock
Bio-Spira Bacteria to aid in cycle.

I have added a raw shrimp to help feed the cycle along with some fish food.

Going about this very slow and am going to make 100% sure the tank has cycled before adding any fish and even then I will add one at a time.

Couple of questions I have.

Aquarium store said to leave the lights off until the tank cycles so the nitrates don't spike and the lights contribute to unwanted algae growth.....does this sound right? My coraline algae has already started to move on the base rock.

I have fake corals in with the live rock so I have been told the (2) 18,000K 30 watt bulbs will be ok to keep live rock algae growing? Sound ok?

I am using B-Ionic Calcium Buffer system in 2 parts to feed the live rock.

Do I have enough filter system and power-heads? I am flowing almost 1,000 gallons per hour on the filters and 1,100 gallons per hour on the 2 power-heads.

I plan not to do any corals for the first year or so until I can get into some better lights. I am going to have just fish, live rock and low light animals like mushrooms and feather dusters.

Two animals I have noticed so far that have come out of my live rock are a small all white starfish about the size of a pencil erasure with 6 legs. Will it live, what is it, and what will it eat?

I have seen some white worms that come out of holes that look like really skinny spaghetti. What are they and are they good?

Lots of questions I know but any help is very much appreciated.:bowdown:

Thank you. Scott.:mrgreen:

Here is a pic of my 2 tanks. I built the stand myself.

000_0447.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back