Hello people!

JGxIronman

Reefing newb
First off my name is michael.

I live in alaska on JBER or Joint base elmendorf-richmond I am united States Air Force. There I do Aircraft Armament systems techonogly.

I study aerospace engineering and organic chemistry. I am here on this site because I've loved fish my whole life even as a kid. And am Looking for guidance on building my first salt water tank. Now I already know "Well it is hard, and it cost money" I know I might sound rude, But I hate hearing negativity, people never want to do something when all you do is warn them for the worst and "try" to drive them away from something. Anyways now that, that rant is over.

Right now All I have is two empty tanks and a Eheim classic 350 filter one tank is 35 gallons the other one is a 10 gallon QT I plan on setting-up once I figure a couple things out. I am not looking to have really difficult fish to begin with I just want some cool smaller and meduim sized fish and obviously I want live rock and coral. Some questions that I have really quick in this post is:

-Is there any other Saltwater tank "pros" In the anchorage area?
-and How should I clean my new tank, I read somewhere since it is really dirty I should clean it with bleach and rinse it water for a good long time to clean out any remaining bleach

Hello sand welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. You could use either bleach or vinegar to clean the tank, followed by lots or rinsing.

Water and vinegar are a reef keepers best friend. A half and half solution will clean up just about anything. There are many ways to keep a saltwater tank. You can go all high tech and drop a shit ton of money or you can follow the k.i.s.s. principle. Its all a matter of how much you want to spend versus how much time you want to manually do maintenance. The other factor of course is what you want to keep. I have seen great looking tanks with only live rock and power heads. Your canister will work you will just have to clean it weekly if you are keeping corals. If its a FOWLR then you have more leeway. For my system I keep it pretty basic and fairly cheap. Look at my build tag on my signature. Any questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to help any way I can.

Back