Hello

AdamC

Reefing newb
I currently have a 20 gallon that has been up and running marine for a year now. I just bought a used 90 gallon salt tank with 2 clowns, and a coral beauty.
The tank is set up and clearing up. I had some trouble getting the emperors 400b's up but by the end of tonight got them running. Not a big fan of the noise compared to my 20 gallon whisper filter.
While the 90 gallon is clearing up and the levels are good I have moved the fish into my 20 so its a little crowded right now.
hermits, sand star, snails, shrimp, damsel, flame hawk, neon goby, royal gramma, and the three from the 90.
I've come to love salt water tanks and wanted something bigger, wish it was a 55, 90 is quite the leap from 20 but it was to good of a deal to pass up.

my question is are there any efficient cheaper skimmers out there that I could replace my filters with and are they quieter? I have no idea how skimmers work as I am not to that level yet.

Adam

is like 100 cheap, 150 ? ? and thats a good tank to jump into it will take a while to get it into shape. woo hoo

I consider 300 cheap as the live rock alone was 300$ worth. And I also got a T5 light with it and stand.

I plan on keeping my 20 gallon setup and as a backup tank.

i got a reef octopus BH-1000. i believe you said you had a 90 g. i have an 84 g w/ a 29g sump. it works great. and only about 160.

I have no idea how skimmers work as I am not to that level yet.

Adam

Skimmers work by removing the dissolved organic compounds (DOC) from the water BEFORE they enter the nitrogen cycle. The DOC's could be from over feeding and fish waste, along with anything else that could enter the water and be eaten by the bacteria. The air bubbles that are created by the skimmer bind to the DOC's and create a surface film in the skimmer. at this film builds the bubbles on the top will get larger and as they pop and go over the lip into the collection cup they are removed. Its actually pretty cool once you can see it in action on your own tank. Hope this helps a little!

Oh yeah, welcome to the site! :mrgreen:

Back