Hello

wolf28802002

Reefing newb
This is my first reef tank and looking for some info I have had the tank setup for about 3 days. I have been doing my tests daily and my readings are 8.1 P.H., 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate. I used store bought Live Rock and reef live sand purchased in a bag from local pet store that said instant cycling i was wondering when i can add fish

Welcome to the site!

I'm wondering why you have nitrates already on day 3. Are you using tap or rodi/distilled water for your tank? If you're already showing nitrates, either your test kit is bad (it happens -- even w/ new kits), or your water source has nitrates.

Usually when you use live rock, you may or may not see any ammonia spikes. But keep testing to be sure. If you see ammonia after a week, you should wait for it to turn to nitrites, and once those nitrites are 0, you should be good to go! You can only put a maximum of 3 or 4 fish in there....and you should only put 1 or 2 at a time and wait several weeks before adding more.

Please refer to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to find out what fish would do well in a 30g.

i used rodi water the live sand I bought was on a store shelf that said instant cycling just add fish i just wanted to wait for the rest of my tank to settle before i put 2 small clowns in don't want any deaths. I have snails that were introduced with the live rock or live sand don't know which one it came from also seen a small shrimp looking thing swimming in the tank yesterday

Back