help - is my new fish dying?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhZyDbIf5I"]YouTube - IMG_0594.MOV[/ame]

Its a sad video done on my iphone.....but this is the fish that is is eating.... the other fish is hiding behind the rocks on the bottom back of the tank...just hovering

I just tried to get a video but now she is hiding in behind my rock pile just hovering just above the sand....not moving up/down etc.

I did film the other one...which is still acting odd...he is hiding in behind the filter return... swims down a bit..then back up...back to hiding etc..

That one looks like he has hosted your filter return LOL

As for the other Do you think maybe he is not used to that huge giant with the massive camera trying to get a video? I have a few damsels that I rescued and when they first went in the one stayed hidden and the other shot away and hid when I aproached the tank. A month later and now they associate me as the food bringer as even the shy one will come out when I hold the cup up to the tank.

Oh, yeah, he looks normal. Mine did that for a long time in my 45g....then when I moved my fish to theh 125, he hung around the overflow closest to the wall, and it's been a month and he's taken to hosting the powerhead next to that overflow, as well. Sleeps right on top of the powerhead's base.

I'm more curious about the one you couldn't capture on video yet.

Yup... they have hosted it for sure...

I felt bad taking them away from their anemone at the store.... :)

The video is of the fish who is eating and swimming at least a little bit... the other one just hovers... usually up where he is now... but now right above the sand.

+1 VA-

I can stand at my tank all day. My fish even the new foxface will come right up to the glass. The minute I raise my camera to take a picture they're gone!..

The video shows me perfectly normal clownfish activity. Mine love to surf the powerheads. If I was a fish in a tank, I'd probably do the same thing. I know this is a video of the normal acting clown.. can you get one of the other?

Oh, yeah, he looks normal. Mine did that for a long time in my 45g....then when I moved my fish to theh 125, he hung around the overflow closest to the wall, and it's been a month and he's taken to hosting the powerhead next to that overflow, as well. Sleeps right on top of the powerhead's base.

I'm more curious about the one you couldn't capture on video yet.

Me too....that guy I think is staying put to be near the other fish..

+1 VA-

I can stand at my tank all day. My fish even the new foxface will come right up to the glass. The minute I raise my camera to take a picture they're gone!..

The video shows me perfectly normal clownfish activity. Mine love to surf the powerheads. If I was a fish in a tank, I'd probably do the same thing. I know this is a video of the normal acting clown.. can you get one of the other?

Not that would show you anything except her butt .. LOL

The one I can see in the video is acting like a normal healthy clown in a new environment. He's hanging up high so he can scope the tank for dangers. He found a piece of structure - just like a bass or crappie would hide near fallen tree or sunken tractor tire. Fish look for structure. A clown is a rock dwelling fish - it is not an open water swimmer like a giant tuna. It's going to naturally seek shelter and cover - most especially in a new tank where the surroundings are unfamiliar.

They swim weird. They look like a spazz all the time. They can become very aggressive once they become accustomed to the tank. They are cousins to the damsel fish.

As long as they are eating, leave 'em alone. They will settle into the tank in a few weeks. They will probably seek a spot thats somewhat sheltered or maybe a little slower water movement.

EDIT:
Ninja'd about 5 times. :grumble:

Nope - make that 7 times. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
If the other one was eating I would be way happier... I will try the garlic thing tomorrow...hopefully that will get the other one to eat

Only becasue I knew you were thinking of him. I'm about to start a new thread all about my foxface!!!

Don't hi-jack this thread. Koda is about to have a coronary. Geez, Wonton. Don't you have any manners:D

Only becasue I knew you were thinking of him. I'm about to start a new thread all about my foxface!!!

Don't hi-jack this thread. Koda is about to have a coronary. Geez, Wonton. Don't you have any manners:D

Oh I have been wanting a foxface! I want to watch em camo!

LOL...I'm okay...

Short version is this..the LFS gave me a "deal" on them...I am concerned they are going to say too bad if anything happens. Plus....it is my first fish in my new reef so that adds to it.

Don't hi-jack this thread. Koda is about to have a coronary. Geez, Wonton. Don't you have any manners

What do you mean hijack....ooooo look a pretty lite I'll be back later if I remember.

DOOD!! You've been on this forum since Nov 2009, and you haven't noticed all the hijacked threads?? That is good livingreefs manners! :D

Back on topic. Do you leave the powerheads on while feeding them? Maybe try shutting it off. I leave mine on...gives the fish something to chase, and they love it. But if your clown's being shy, maybe the combinatino of garlic and food floating in front of him might help. Maybe dim the lights, too? Just enough so it's not glaring, but bright enough for him to not think it's bedtime.

They didn't give you that good of a deal on them to lose a customer. Especially one that drops some scratch on 2 percs. I'm not saying be a jerk, but they want the realtionship with you. I've only been at this a short time as well, the one thing I've found about LFS is EVERYTHING is negotiable.

I could understand your point if you brought back 2 dead fish. Then they would say, well maybe you did something wrong. But 1 fish? When they KNOW you want 2. I'd call them and make them aware of the issue at least, and then give it a couple of more days, maybe he'll get his act together.

You never know, if they're close to you, they may send one of their guys over to look at him in your tank.

Last edited:
DOOD!! You've been on this forum since Nov 2009, and you haven't noticed all the hijacked threads?? That is good livingreefs manners! :D

Back on topic. Do you leave the powerheads on while feeding them? Maybe try shutting it off. I leave mine on...gives the fish something to chase, and they love it. But if your clown's being shy, maybe the combinatino of garlic and food floating in front of him might help. Maybe dim the lights, too? Just enough so it's not glaring, but bright enough for him to not think it's bedtime.

Tried both... last night they ate with the heads on. Tonight I turned them off as the one fish wasnt eating.

How long can they go without eating before we start getting into adding to the problem?

They didn't give you that good of a deal on them to lose a customer. Especially one that drops some scratch on 2 percs. I'm not saying be a jerk, but they want the realtionship with you. I've only been at this a short time as well, the one thing I've found about LFS is EVERYTHING is negotiable.

I could understand your point if you brought back 2 dead fish. Then they would say, well maybe you did something wrong. But 1 fish? When they KNOW you want 2. I'd call them and make them aware of the issue at least, and then give it a couple of more days, maybe he'll get his act together.

You never know, if they're close to you, they may send one of their guys over to look at him in your tank.

Thats what I am thinking too...I am on all the local forums...and as you can tell I have no problem typing away :)

I sent the manager a pm tonight on a local forum. (after the fish wouldnt eat for the 2nd time)

Hard to tell...I've had a firefish go 2 weeks without eating the food I gave him. Dunno about clowns. Were these 2 mated? or just purchased the same time?

Back