Help! Nitrates won't come down!

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Ok, so I'm done cycling my tank. I've ordered some of my CUC. Levels were looking good (except nitrates, which were trending down fairly significantly), until I tested yesterday. Here's what I've got:

SG: 1.024
pH: 8.0
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: about 15 (darker than 10 on the color chart, but not as dark as 20)

I am using liquid testing, not strips.

I did a 10% water change yesterday, checked again today, and absolutely NO change to nitrates! I did another 10% change after that result, waited for a while to let the water circulate and mix, tested again, and absolutely NO change! My skimmer is skimming, I'm not running carbon filters in my Biowheel, and I just can't figure out why the nitrates aren't coming down! Any ideas?

Nope. Using distilled, since I don't have access to ro/di just yet. I'm getting an ro/di unit soon, but until then i've been using distilled. Is that a problem?

I've turned the biowheel off. Will do another 10% water change and test tomorrow. Updates then! Thnx.

It's about six weeks old now. It should be finished with its cycle for the most part. Like I said, ammonia and nitrites are at 0, and the nitrates were falling fast from over 100 ppm to 20 ppm. I'm talking fast like three days without any water changes or anything. Then they just stalled out at 15 for several days, and they're staying there despite water changes.

So far I've turned off the Biowheel and done another 10% water change. I'll test again tomorrow. I also have some ulva on order, and that's supposed to help keep nitrates down as well as provide a tasty snack for herbivores.

60 lbs of LS and 50 lbs of LR. I know it's suggested that I have 1.5-2lbs/gallon, but my rock is Caribbean and Bali Alor, which both recommend 1-1.5 lbs/gallon. And as it is, my tank seems awfully crowded with rocks! I could probably squeeze more in there if I truly don't have enough though.

It sounds like you have more than enough rock, i would take off the biowheel and do a few water changes and then see what happens to your levels.

If you want to bring it down, I think the problem is the 10% water changes. Thats probably on the skimpy side for a new tank that is still in the works. I'd do a 20% and check your level then.

But that is just my advice for someone starting out.There are so many variables when it comes to nitrates. Mine are zero and I havn't changed the water in 6 months. (Im not proud of that by the way, Im out of the country)

No water change in six months? Do you have a denitrator or a plenum bed? what type of CUC do you have and how many? I have a 300 gal and my nitrates are over 50. What's the secret?

Update!

After discontinuing the Biowheel and another 10% water change (and rearranging the tank furniture to a more stable configuration prior to adding critters), nitrates are down to 5 ppm. Ammo is still at 0 despite the removal of the 'wheel. Hooray! :bounce:

I'm ok with 5 ppm. I can deal with 5 ppm, especially with macro on the way. I just didn't want to hurt my critters. I'm trying to be a responsible tank mommy! :D

BTW, I'm really quite grumpy at my SW Aquariums for Dummies book. It said to use as many types of filtration as you can, including LR, LS, biowheel, sump, skimmer, etc. ad nauseum. So I followed his advice. Should have just listened to the folks here when y'all told me to lose the 'wheel. But noooooo, I had to consult the Dummies book. Who's the dummy now? Stupid 'wheel......:chair:

Back