Help on my clown...

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
Okay, this is really weird, all my water parameters are in good shape, No1, No2, No3 all reading at zero now after two months of hard works...temp is at 78, salt level at 1.023, all my snails and hermit crabs are thriving...but just recently I got another clown to test out the tank again, but now the poor clown is not eating anymore and i can see the clown has closed fins, got it for a few days now, I was feeding both brine shrimp and dry food, but only a little at a time once a day...is something wrong w/ my water? is there some kind of hidden parasites?? although the clown show no visible signs of parasites...btw, this clown is the only fish in a 30 gal...I aclimated the clown using the drip method for an hour...HELP!!! I can't think of anything else that might be killing the clown...I'm about to shoot myself :frustrat:

oh and I forgot to mention that i also changed like 30% RO water after the cycling is done...and I also have pods all over the wall...

How much water flow do you have in there?
Low dissolved oxygen or stray voltage are the only other things that I can think of right now.
For low oxygen,you'll just need to get the water surface to moving.
For stray voltage,you'll need to check the conductivity of the water with a volt meter.If the voltage is the cause,you'll have to check every thing thats electrical and remove the culprit.
Hope that helps.

1.dont kil yourself
2.i wouldnt dip or do anything yet until you see visable signs of he/she dieing(it will just cause more stress)
3.try feeding it mysis shrimp

If there's stray voltage, shouldn't they also affect the snails and hermits? the clown is clearly not well...I have plenty of water surface movement, I have 3 pumps, one moving the water, one powering a chiller, and one overflowing to the refugium...so there's plenty of water movement...my skimmer is on 24/7 as well...I just can't think of anything else

Stray voltage should, in theory, affect everything living in the tank. But it doesn't always (for some reason).

Go buy a voltmeter. They're like $12 at Lowe's or Ace Hardware. It sounds like that could be your problem, and if that is your problem, it is easy to fix (well, easier than treating a disease or parasite or fixing bad quality water).

I just tested the water using a volt meter, I turn the selector to detect voltage at 700 and dip the two pron into the water, is this how I test it? but the results show 0 voltage...so I don't think I have a voltage leak...maybe I just got another bad clown from the store, I also noticed the first few hour the fish was hang'n or floating on top of the water, looks like he was struggling a little, but he was doing fine for a day or two afterward...

Thanks for the clarification Biff...I tried it again but still show zero reading...this prob won't be the case as all my equipments are new...but it's a good thought...what else can it be?? should I get a damsel to test out the tank?? I can't imagine anything else...

just getting a damsel is not going to solve the problem. Maybe try taking your water in to your LFS and letting them test it to see if maybe there's something your'e missing, or maybe one of your tests isn't working.

If your clown isn't doing well, I wouldn't bother adding another fish. That will just increase stress, increase waste, and decrease water quality. Exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

I'd recommend giving it a few days. Keep trying to feed the fish, but they can go days without food and not suffer. If it still isn't eating in a few days, then you can try to quarantine the fish and medicate it.

Feed it frozen foods soaked in garlic extract. Garlic is an appetite stimulant and will boost the immune system.

Do you have your powerheads aimed at the surface of the water so they're creating a ripple in the surface? You need the surface of the water broken to oxygenate the tank.

Back