HELP!! ph is out of wack

runningrandy04

Reefing newb
Since I started my tank my ph has been stable at 8.1-8.2. Last week I went to the lfs to get snails and an emerald crab. Got my water tested there. Everything was perfect but my ph was 8.0. Guy asked me what buffer i was using. I had not been using any. Well I got home and while i was acclimatizing the critters i did a 10% change and added some of the buffer thinking it would help my ph go up and stay up. Well the next day i found a snail dead. ph dropped to 7.5. did a 20% water change followed by 3 daily 10% water changes. friday my ph was 8.3. Checked it this morning before i went to the lfs again and its 7.8. What do i do? my alkalinity is perfect.

Sounds like the normal night time drop.
Test your PH right before the lights go off.Thats when your PH is going to be its highest.
What happens is when your lights are on.All the photosynthitic plants,algae,and stuff are using up the carbon dioxide,which helps raise PH.Then at night,the reverse happens and the PH falls.
BTW,8.0 aint that bad.I dont worry about dosing buffer unless my PH drops to 7.9 right before lights out.

I thought that only having a single 17w flouresent bulb wouldn't cause a big change. I'm just worried cause I found another snail dead this morning. thought it was because of the swing? I'm usually at work when the lights go off so i cant test then. Thanks by the way yote

I had super stable pH for the first 3 or 4 months. Then it dropped to like 7.6--7.8 and I freaked out. I had not been dosing my tank up that point. I cussed and I kicked--but in the end--you gotta just get some buffer the dose the darn thing. Life is easier. Corals are happier.

Low pH is just one of those things that plagues reefers--always has--always will. 8 out of 10 reefers end up battling low pH at some point. Maybe even ALL reefers battle it at some point in the hobby.

I also had alkalinity problems. I ended up using powdered SeaChem reef Buffer. It raises pH--but won't go over 8.4 no matter how much you dump in the tank. It raises alkalinity too, and CAN overdose the tank. I used it for about a month to slowly bring my pH and alk back up to normal levels. Now I just use one small dose every 2 or 3 days. Small doses on a more frequent basis will make the tank more stable over the long haul. You can dose once a week, but then you will have radical swings in pH and/or alkalinity. I'm on a regular dose--I don't even test anymore. I just know that every other day I add a certain amount to my tank. My levels stay right at 4.2--4.4 on alk. pH is steady at 8.2--8.4 My dKH is 11.8--12.0 Calcium is steady at 450

Just figure out WHAT the problem is. Sounds like you just have pH problems. Get some buffer that ONLY adjusts pH and doesn't raise alkalinity. Figure out how often you want to dose the tank. Daily? Every other day? every week? Then get it stable. Elevate the levels to normal over the course of a week. Add a little bit each day until the levels get where you want to maintain them. Then experiment and see how much it takes to dose and keep it there. A "maintenance" dose however often you want to dose it.

For me, it's one teaspoon on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
I change water on Sunday, so it can go 2 days until Tuesday before I dose.
I shouldn't waste the dose on Saturday, because the tank water is going to get changed on Sunday anyway. But, I want my corals happy and stable, so I do it on Saturday too.

SeaChem Products

REEF BUFFER:
It will raise pH AND alkalinity.
It will not raise pH over 8.4.
It WILL raise alkalinity up rapidly.

MARINE BUFFER:
It will raise pH.
It will NOT go over 8.3pH
It will raise alkalinity, but5 only a very small amount

I'm off the change my tank water. Need to open a beer first and get motivated. :Cheers:

Last edited:
Back