Help Please

RFD

Reefing newb
When I got home this evening my water temp was 90 degrees! I performed a water change and got the temperature dow to 80. Checked my heater and it appears ok (i left it off for now). I have a 14 gal Biocube standard set up no supplements. Which means everything in the tank fried! Xenia, polyps, Kenya tree, Mean Green are all closed tight.

Performed water test;

Calcium - 480 ppm, Hardness - 12dKH, Nitrate - 20 ppm, Phosphate - 0, PH - 8.2, Nitrite - 0, Ammonia - 0, Temp - 80, Gravity - 1.026.

Can anything be saved or is it just wait and see? Can I use any supplements? Does coral go into shock like fish and gradually come around?

Any suggestions!

Biocubes suck for temp control. What I do is open the two lids-- the one in the front and the back. Keep those open whenever the lights are on. I also have a desk fan sitting about a foot away pointing at the cube. It's also in an air conditioned room. My temp stays at about 79-81, with the heater in.

Sorry to hear about the problems :( the params seem fine... I'd keep the temp as steady as possible and see if any of the corals come back. hopefully they will good luck!

That sux.
About all you can do is wait and see.
In the mean time,do like Tank said and get a small fan to help cool the tank.

I have the heater out and a fan on the tank with the hood open. I am worried that the fans didn't kick in on the hood. My water reading look good except for the Nitrate being a little high. Fish look fine.

Will see what happens.

oh, I can do computer crap. Been building my own desktops since I was 9. It's the larger variety of screw driver that confuses me. :D

Using a water change to bring the temp from 90 down to 80 was a mistake --assuming that's what you did. If the temp is to high bring it down gradually -the shock of a temp change is worse than a high temp.

I have the Biocube. In the summer leave the lids open and get a small fan to blow air thru it. The fans in the hood only cool the lamps.

This is what you can use: JEBO Aquarium - Aquarium Cooling Dual Fans Drs foster smith have the, also.

You may eventually want to get rid of the hood and replace it with an MH clip-on light and go topless. It will stay cooler.

Does anyone know the "crossover" point in which corals will die when they reach a certain temperature? I'm sure it depends on several factors i.e. how fast they accelerated to that temperature, how long they remain at that temperature, etc... any ideas?

Some corals can actually handle water in the mid 90s,as long as that temp is stable.If its jumpping 7 or 8 degrees in a 24 hour period,then stress sets in.

well you need screwdrivers to build a computer
yes... little bitty ones. I don't need any big screw drivers. :)

Note that you can also find several different t5 fixtures that fit the biocube, which would be even cooler than either the lid or MHs, if you really can't get the temp under control.

Back