Help!! Please ....

ukeka1sttimer

Reefing newb
Ok so I started my tank up on may 3rd ..10lbs live rock from an established tank, pre-mixed saltwater ... Natures ocean sand ... Ive have not done anything to the tank since set up besides check water temp which is a consistent 79 degrees ... I decided to test the parameters today and this is what I get

0-Nitrate
0-Nitrite
0-Ammonia
8.4 PH ??

Tank size: 9 gallon, 20.25" x 9.75" x 19.25" (H)

Lights :
Fan cooled 24W x 2 power compact fluorescent + LED retrofit with moisture
resistant lens. ( I know its not great but hey it came with the tank)

The salinity is never consistant - Using a hydrometer !! it sucks :grumble:

Where should I go from here ?

Is this for the 65 RSM?

If so, i would add the rest of the dry rock you need to get your tank up that amount. I would then toss in some table shrimp to cycle the tank.

If you dont need to add more rock, i would still toss in a piece of food and monitor your levels to makes sure that your tank cycled. If you dont see a rise in the levels after having a piece of shrimp in there for a day, then i would say you are good to add your first fish!

Is this for the 65 RSM?

If so, i would add the rest of the dry rock you need to get your tank up that amount. I would then toss in some table shrimp to cycle the tank.

If you dont need to add more rock, i would still toss in a piece of food and monitor your levels to makes sure that your tank cycled. If you dont see a rise in the levels after having a piece of shrimp in there for a day, then i would say you are good to add your first fish!

Thanks for the reply this is not for the RSM.. Its for the 9g Finnex .. I have some shrimp I was gonna throw out (sat in the fridge to long ) Should I toss in a piece of that or get fresh shrimp and toss that in ??

Thanks .. I just tossed in a little piece.

How often should I check the parameters in this 24hr period ?

Also when should I remove the piece I threw in there ?

Again.., Thanks so much for the help

I would check again this evening, and then next morning and then next evening. If you see a rise in the ammonia or nitrites then you know your tank didnt cycle and you just wait until those levels go to zero. If you dont see a rise, then i would pull out that piece and add your first fish

I would check again this evening, and then next morning and then next evening. If you see a rise in the ammonia or nitrites then you know your tank didnt cycle and you just wait until those levels go to zero. If you dont see a rise, then i would pull out that piece and add your first fish

Thanks .. I will update on what the parameters are ...

and if in fact the tank is truly cycled.. Im in no rush to add fish .. Just want to get my bearing on doing this right .. :mrgreen:

You may have skipped a cycle by using live rock, sand and water, but like Hannah said, it's good to test that before you add an animal. If you don't see your parameters rise in 4 to 5 days, I'd say you're good to go!

Re: Help!! Please .... Update

Hey just thought I post a lil update. As of this coming Tuesday will be week 3 .. since tank was set up

Parameters are still the same no spikes tested every other day, added some R/O water due to evaporation (have the Jbj ATO.. Just lazy :lol: ) everything still stable and consistent except for my salinity

0-Nitrate
0-Nitrite
0-Ammonia
8.2 PH

Salinity has gone down a lil since adding water but still high..... think it was 38 ppt but cant be to sure with this stupid Hydrometer.. Guess you work with what ya got?:grumble: ... I ordered my refractometer so hoping it will be here by Thursday:D ..

Comments ,advice ?? All welcomed .... Thanx in advance

The ammonia spike slightly for that evening but by the am and ever since it has remained stable ... at 0 ..

I am concerned about the salinity ... being 36 or 38 is rather high isn't it ?

Also once the salinity and parameters are ok can I finaly order my clean up crew:question:

I am think of ordering from reefscavengers.com:mrgreen:

I think you can add your first fish and clean up crew if you wish!

You can get your salinity down by doing your water change! Oh the joy! :)

And you are right, it should be around 35 ppm.

Back