Help! Rookie trying to save a tank

Coachepp27

Reefing newb
Ok, so I know I've already committed a bunch of no-no's but want some help from this point. I've just inherited a a 75 gallon aquarium that was in pretty bad shape. I'm told it has everything you need, but the primary caregiver has been away for almost 2 years. The water looks pretty disgusting and everything's covered in red algae. However, there were several creatures, including fish that seemed to be doing fine. The pumps and everything have been off for a week. I was able to transport about 25 gallons of the existing water back to my house with the tank. So I have a few questions.

1. How can I clean the tank? I have a magnet but it just won't do as the algae is caked on pretty thickly.

2. There was live rock in it. Could it have survived without the pump and filtration? They removed it and it's been sitting outside since yesterday. How do I know if it's still alive? If it's not alive, is it still okay to put it in the tank for decoration and hiding spots?

3. I still need about 50 gallons of water. Do I have to buy it? Is there a cheaper way? can I make my own?

4. What's my next step? I know I shouldn't put fish in it yet ( I actually tossed the living fish into my other tank... that's probably a no-no too, sorry, but he seems to be doing well)

Thanks,
Jason

Ok, so I know I've already committed a bunch of no-no's but want some help from this point. I've just inherited a a 75 gallon aquarium that was in pretty bad shape. I'm told it has everything you need, but the primary caregiver has been away for almost 2 years. The water looks pretty disgusting and everything's covered in red algae. However, there were several creatures, including fish that seemed to be doing fine. The pumps and everything have been off for a week. I was able to transport about 25 gallons of the existing water back to my house with the tank. So I have a few questions.

1. How can I clean the tank? I have a magnet but it just won't do as the algae is caked on pretty thickly.

You can use a scraper to really get it off.

2. There was live rock in it. Could it have survived without the pump and filtration? They removed it and it's been sitting outside since yesterday. How do I know if it's still alive? If it's not alive, is it still okay to put it in the tank for decoration and hiding spots?

It's still alive. If other fish survived, the rock's fine :)

3. I still need about 50 gallons of water. Do I have to buy it? Is there a cheaper way? can I make my own?

You can buy an RODI unit, or if you're in a bind, go to walmart and get their distilled water.

4. What's my next step? I know I shouldn't put fish in it yet ( I actually tossed the living fish into my other tank... that's probably a no-no too, sorry, but he seems to be doing well)

Check your parameters -- ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Wait a week or so, keep checking your parameters to make sure things have settled down. How many fish are in your other tank now? I would think it's crowded in there now.
Thanks,
Jason

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the prompt response. So I can just scrape off the old algae and throw it away?

As for the rock, should I go get it and put it back in the water?

As for my other tank, I only had one tomato clown in there, so there's room. The problem is that these other two that I added are also in the clown family, which I hear aren't friendly toward each other.

Also, My wife was wanting to merge our existing tank with the new one. Would that be bad?

Yes, just toss the algae.

OH I missed where you said that the rocks are OUT of the water. If you took them out, they will have die off. But it's ok...it will be live again in no time, as long as the sand stayed wet. But expect die off from the rocks, and a possible ammonia swing. Take your time, wait a couple of weeks.

Those clowns will probably fight. Best to separate them. If you can, see if an LFS will hold them for you, or give you store credit for them. But definitely do not add more fish to the 75 until all your parameters are in check.

What do you mean by "merge"? If you mean move all your rock and original clown into the 75g, sure :D But again, just wait for your 75g parameters settle down.

You can put the live rock in a bucket or plastic storage bin with saltwater, a powerhead and a heater and keep it there as long as you need to while you get the tank cleaned out from the algae mess. You could probably also keep any inverts in there as well if needed so that you can really empty out the 75g and clean it well. I found that using a razor blade on the stubborn algae that was on the walls of the tank I inherited worked wonders.

As for the fish, I am pretty new myself, but have heard that turning off the lights for a few days could help the fish acclimate. You can also re-arrange some of the rocks in your small tank to help the fish re-establish territory and deter aggression towards the new (temporary) inhabitants. As for combining tanks down the road, I'd wait to see how the three do together, and wait until you've gotten the 75g stable again. Also consider what other fish you want to add to the 75 and add the peaceful ones first before adding the tomato clown (and maybe the others, not sure what types of clowns they are - some can be pretty aggressive).

Welcome & good luck!

The three clowns will probably never get along, especially not in a smaller tank. I would return the loan tomato or have someone hold the pair until you get the 75 up and running.

Back