Help! Tank move/transfer!

Drostelicious

Reefing newb
******Freaking out*******

Been watching the forum for a while now, just registered because i need some help / advice.

I have a family member who has a 90 gallon bow front, very nice setup with some very nice livestock. He hooked me up with a bunch of free stuff when i started my tank. anyway, he sent me a bunch of pictures and told me to shoot him a price as to what i would give for everything because he has to tear down the tank to remodel his basement.

My questions not in pricing but with the transfer and re set up.

He lives about 2.5 hours from me.

90 gallon tank - I have a hemi, not an issue.

-----
about he guesses 90-1000 pounds live rock- I know you dont wanna let it dry? Big tub and wet newspaper or something? Obviously some rocks are gonna have corals attatched. What do i do?

I just don't know where to start with this.. I havent gave him a price yet or have we worked out a deal. But i want to see what i need to do.

_____

SAY i get everything transfered to my house, will i have to re cycle the tank !?

-------

Maybe there is a topic on this that i haven't seen or something but I would really appreciate some help. Very interested in snagging up this tank!

If you can keep the rock wet and up to temp, you may have a very short or no cycle. Do not reuse the sand. The rocks with coral attached will be even more important to keep submerged and tank temp. You can reuse the water that you transport everything in and then add new water for the remaining. After the move just keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Are you transporting any fish or just coral?
Oh, and welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum.

+1 chichi....For rock with attached coral, I would use 5 gallon buckets or even better coolers (gotta love insulation). Keep them in the water. Added bonus use the water in the re set up. For the rock wet newspaper or paper towels in closed bins or buckets.

Livestock and corals in baggies packed tight inside a box, cooler, etc. tupperwaree works, too, as long as its watertight.

Transferring like 8 fish and a big carpet anenome and some really nice corals. Vital to the tank set up and items i wouldn't wanna lose. Also taking into account its cold outside and they would have to make a 3 hour trip. I can put all the important stuff inside my truck but you know. He's giving me a 40 gallon tank with it and i could refill it with the water from the tank and get it heated up and try and get all the important stuff in it? That leaves probably 60 pounds of live rock i can't take care of

I don't know where you live but any possible way to catch a day as close to the tank temp as possible before the move? Keeping the livestock in a climate controlled environment will certainly help them.

Get a large outdoor (new) garbage can that has a lid that can be put on it to put all that live rock in and put as much water from the tank on the rocks as possible. Then put the lid on it and duck tape it to seal it. Keep in mind you need to have the garbage can placed where it will make the trip because there will be no moving it when you fill it up.

I have made a 3 hour trip hauling aquarium, fish, inverts, corals, live rock and all the water from a 90g tank but I used an enclosed trailer. This helped keep the outside elements from effecting the water temperature as much. Everything survived the trip. The whole process is time consuming even without a 3 hour ride but all you can do is what you can do if you decided to try it.

I would think the livestock in coolers inside the car/truck (where people sit) The rest doesnt matter to much. As long as the rock doesnt dry out it should be fine.

Okay so. Trashcan for rock + water is a good idea. Would be fine not being temp controlled right? He's giving me about 8 five gallon culligan jugs so that's 45 gallons i can bring with me plus the trashcan water. I'd think i can get all 90 gallons back. Since I'm getting a 90 + a seperate 40 gallon tank, can i get everything important into that 40 once its heated and i have like 7 hang on filters at my expense. because the tank is drilled but its just capped off and not functional yet

If it is just for a few days a good size hang on filter and a power head or two to keep the water moving should be fine. I assume you are just planing on a staging area until you can get the 90 set up. That should work.

If you don't get all the water you shold be really close. I don't know what the 8 fish are but if there is a big carpet anemone with them in the 40 there may or may not be 8 fish when you put them back in the 90.

Back