Help with Light!!!

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I need help, I’m going crazy I have a 110 gallon tank 48L,18W,30H right now my light setup is:
Coralife 48" 4x65W PC Fixture (I know it’s not good at all for my deep tank) & as a second fixture for help, & it does help, I have a Marineland Reef Capable LED 48-60 (I got it new!!! for $150!!!)
I want to get a new fixture & I’m looking to get a 6 bulb T5 light fixture I don’t want MH & I don’t have the money for the good LED’s & my wife will kill me if I spend the $$ on the good ones,

So this is what I’m looking at
Aquaticlife 6 bulb T5 light fixture 48", I can get it for $400 new.
Or I have seen this on ebay for $188 & it got good reviews:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-inch-324-W-T5-Aquarium-light-for-fish-and-Coral-reef-tanks-/110939197113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d47dceb9
Even $400 is a lot for me now, but thank god for credit cards. So what to get???

I looked at those lights for my 90. They aren't bad but I went with the eBay Dimmable LED's. I have a thread on them. Would I recommend you go the same route? Not sure but they MIGHT be in your budget and you could at least take a serious look at them and judge for yourself.

Also, take a look on CL in your area. You might just find a good deal. Also consider that the bulbs that come with that unit might only be good for a short period of time. Add up the cost of a complete bulb change in a few months plus a complete change every 9 months or so. Good bulbs like ATIs aren't cheap.

Are you worried about heat or power consumption with Metal Haldies? Also, if you buy an ebay fixture you will want to immediately replace the bulbs. And in a 6 bulb fixture you might as well go ahead and add another $120 to the cost for the replacement bulbs to figure out your total cost. Of,course it will be that way no mater what if you arent buying a somewhat reputable brand (that normally comes with good bulbs).

Edit: I also would be weary about the reflectors of these units. The reflector alone is just as important as the bulbs and T5's lose a drastic amount light output if the reflectors are garbage.

Last edited:
Are you worried about heat or power consumption with Metal Haldies? Also, if you buy an ebay fixture you will want to immediately replace the bulbs. And in a 6 bulb fixture you might as well go ahead and add another $120 to the cost for the replacement bulbs to figure out your total cost. Of,course it will be that way no mater what if you arent buying a somewhat reputable brand (that normally comes with good bulbs).

Edit: I also would be weary about the reflectors of these units. The reflector alone is just as important as the bulbs and T5's lose a drastic amount light output if the reflectors are garbage.

I am more worried about the power consumption with MH

You should lookup dimmable 55 3w LED fixtures. You'll have to buy from China most likely but they go for around $180 each. You may be able to find them at your LFS. They'll just charge more due to mark up. I have 2 that'll be going over my 90, which is also 48"x18". Mine have 2 different blues, 14k whites, reds, cyans, and UVs. My LFS run them over one of their displays next to another display that has Radions and you cant see a difference. Not to knock Radions, but i dont need all those bells and whistles. You'll be paying about the same for the LEDs as you would the t5. Except most of the LED fixtures have a 5 year warranty and the LEDs will last around 8-10yrs. Along with consuming barely any power.

You should lookup dimmable 55 3w LED fixtures. You'll have to buy from China most likely but they go for around $180 each. You may be able to find them at your LFS. They'll just charge more due to mark up. I have 2 that'll be going over my 90, which is also 48"x18". Mine have 2 different blues, 14k whites, reds, cyans, and UVs. My LFS run them over one of their displays next to another display that has Radions and you cant see a difference. Not to knock Radions, but i dont need all those bells and whistles. You'll be paying about the same for the LEDs as you would the t5. Except most of the LED fixtures have a 5 year warranty and the LEDs will last around 8-10yrs. Along with consuming barely any power.

Same lights I have and I'll say they aren't bad. Still haven't had them long enough to recommend them outright.

I have the light that the OP is interested in buying.

I have to recommend it! It is definitely a good fixture, very convenient, easy to use/setup. Provides more than enough light. Only downfall is the factory lights which I swapped out with ATI's right away.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-lights-120W-Black-Tronics/dp/B0087DULUG]Amazon.com: Aquarium LED lights 120W Black same as Tao Tronics: Home Improvement[/ame]

I believe these are the lights they're talking about.

I too would recommend going with LEDs....but I'm partial to LEDs because of their small footprint, low power consumption and the shimmer effects. Also, there's no replacing bulbs or worrying about temperature swings.

As for the quality of these lights, that I'm not sure about. I plan to buy one for my 29g eventually and I will see for myself then. I currently have a Marineland Reef Capable LED and while it's sufficient I would like more light.

I may be incorrect in saying this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I can see, the difference between the 55 3w fixtures and the Radionss, AIs, Apollos, etc. is optics. The 55 3w fixtures DON'T use optics whereas the others DO. However, with the Radiins, etc. that DO use optics you need to mount them higher than you would the 55 3w led fixture, or else you won't really be able to run them at max power and you'll most likely bleach corals at the top of your tank. I'm going to try and mount my fixtures about 7" from the surface of the water, mostly because I don't want to have to buy another ply of wood. So it's optics vs no optics. Just try and find the 55 led fixtures that incorporate UVs, reds, cyans, blues, and whites.

You really need to check out the cheap Chinese light thread I have. I too had a tight time with mounting heights. I am running mine at about 40% and they are plent bright. My GSP on the sand got a little bleached. It's coloring back up now.

Again, at this point it would be hard for me to say "these are worth the money and are great lights." I took a chance buying them, heck ANYTHING was better than what I was running. For me, on my tank and budget, these are great. My soft corals, GSP, Zoas, Torch and the few SPS I have things are going well.

Back