help with protein skimmer

120galtank

Reefing newb
I have an aqua medic turboflotor blue 1000, it's the one that hangs on the side of the tank with a pump just inside the water and pvc pipe on the output spot, and a collection cup up on top. I just had to replace the intake pump on this, and when they finally managed to send me the right pump, I put it on. That was today that I got it and I hooked it all up after it was clean and i was sure that in the double chamber part of the appliance that it used to bubble in there. Now the water just looks like standing water, it's not moving and it hasn't given me any waste in the past 5-6 hours or so, and the skimmer has been out of commission for a couple of months. Last time I let it go without the skimmer, as soon as I out it back in the tank it started producing waste... Am I doing something wrong? Water is coming out of the output tube very steadily, but it doesn't seem to be moving inside the skimmer itself. Can anyone help me troubleshoot??

Last edited:
Check to see if it's pulling any air in.If the venturi is blocked with salt,it wont pull air,so wont skim.

Find the air line on the skimmer.Follow that tubing to where it goes into the pump.
Then pull the air tubing off and look at the nipple where it attached.If it's clogged,you should be able to see it.
Or you can just blow into the tubing.If it's easy to blow through,then there's another problem.

jeez, thanks a lot for the help, but it turns out that i just hadn't hooked up the air line at all. I'm chalking that one up as a blond moment. *shakes head at herself*

Or you can just blow into the tubing.If it's easy to blow through,then there's another problem.

What problem would that be? I have been having issues with my Aqua Medic skimmer as well and I chalked it up to there being nothing in the water to pull out. I have blown through the air tube a few times and i can easily blow through it. It also seems to be pulling water up and out through the tube at times.
Used equipment on top of being a noob with a skimmer is not good.

What problem would that be? I have been having issues with my Aqua Medic skimmer as well and I chalked it up to there being nothing in the water to pull out. I have blown through the air tube a few times and i can easily blow through it. It also seems to be pulling water up and out through the tube at times.
Used equipment on top of being a noob with a skimmer is not good.

As long as it's getting a milky white mixture of mico-bubbles and water,then it's working.

But.With some skimmers,things like the pumps being to deep will keep them from pulling air.That's a common problem with the Corallife Super Skimmers.
Some times the pump just doesn't pump the water fast enough for it be able to pull in air through the venturi.
There's actually A LOT of things that can effect how well a skimmer will operate.

Back