help

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
i have what looks like a dark red "hair algae" growing on my rocks. im pretty sure its not hair algae, someone told me it looks like cyno. i will try to post some pics of it, but do you guys think this is anything to be worried about?

also, i have this brown "carpet-like" stuff growing on my sand. anyone know what this may be?

They both sound like cyano. Something is off with your water parameters. Add some phosphate removing media like PhosGuard, RowaPhos or PhosBan and increase the flow in the areas where you are getting it.

Post some more details too.Like the results of your tests.What you have in the tank.What kind of food your using and how much.

Agree, sounds like cyno or diatoms. Increase flow, try feeding less, and keep up on WC. You can also look at the helpfull articals for some good info on it. Good luck and keep us posted on the cure.

I had the same stuff and I followed what Biff and a few others said and it corrected the problem. Which were use frozen food, feed less often,turn lights off a few days, increase water flow and phosphate media.

Piggy, don't forget to mentio Yote by name, he needs love too. :bounce:

If it is slimey to the touch and breaks apart into a million pieces when you touch it, welcome to cyano!!! Lots of recent posts regarding how to get rid of it. It takes time and patience, but will eventually go away. Shoot, I had a small outbreak when my fish murdered a coral beauty not to long ago, so it can still be a pain, even after 2 years of not having any.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Piggy, don't forget to mentio Yote by name, he needs love too.

Aww shucks Doc.Your gonna mess around and bring a tear to my eye.

Oh wait a second,its just a cross ways contact. LOL

what ever you do dont listen to biff on algae advise.... she is bannished from any algae related threads until that tank of hers is good enough to join the NAAO..... lol

Back