Help

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Hey i just bought 3 condys a couple weeks ago on the 4th of this month.. Basically they were looking great last night but i woke up this AM and noticed that one of them (the larger of the 3) has gotten smaller and a light brown color.. Its still attached to the rock and i did feed it some shrimp that it did take in and eat.. What should i do and what is going on with it... Is it just Pooping LOL or what... I hear that if it dies it can NUKE the tank.. How do i prevent this and what should i do at this point? please let me know ASAP....

Well, if you just bought 3 anemones and your tank is only 4 days old......bad decision. They need a VERY well established tank to survive. Good luck. :o

If your sig is correct, your tank is way too new for any anemone. You need very stable conditions and can't get that from a new tank. I would take them back where you purchased them

wow hes doing 100% now in just the last hour. I think what happened is the Pepermint shrimp were picking at him and he went into SHOCK mode if thats possible.. im running 4 T5HO lights 10k and 4 atinics.. water pram is perfect. The only thing i can think of is what i stated above... Is that a possiblity?

Your lights seem to be enough, and your tank is probably mature enough. If an animal is picking at the anemone, it will retract and look unhappy. It also looks like crap when it's taking a crap. It could be either of those.

thanks everyone for all the help.... I also have a few other question if you guys dont mind.. I cant seem to keep this Cyeno bacteria from growing.. I shut the lights off for 2 days and that helped tremndously but it always comes back.. Also have you guys ever heard of Purple Up chemical to help promote coraline algea to grow... If so what do you guys think of it and if its not good what do you recomend to get coraline to grow. I have 5 Huge rocks with coraline all over them and the rest of my rock is Lace kind want it on them to.. It does grow on the glass just not so much on the rock...

When I first started out with my tank the lfs recommended something called Purple Tech by Kent Marine. It's supposed to raise up the calcium level and be everything you need for coraline. I could never raise the calcium with it though so now I just use a powder calcium supplement and magnesium and I've got no problems with the calcium level or coraline growth.

I used Purple Up in a couple of my tanks and had great success. But it's basically just a calcium additive. Coralline will come on its own with time if you keep your calcium levels up.

Sounds like your anemone was just takin a :pooh: :D
Some people like purple up.But I figure of coralline is gonna grow,then it'll grow.No need to add powdered sand to the tank.
If you'll keep the calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium levels right,then that stuff will grow and eventually hate it.:D

Sounds like your anemone was just takin a :pooh: :D

Ya know I was watching an interview with Jeff Foxworthy and friends today. In the final question she asked if there was ever a time that a fart was not funny. They said no.

Back