Help!!

askmeificare

Reefing newb
I have a pink sea cucumber in my 55 gallon tank...I know when they pass can be toxic to the tank. I got up this morning and she has brown strings coming out of her...but she is still eating...can someone tell me if shes ok or if i should take her out??

I agree with Yote. All animals poop! Now if she was spitting strings out, and her color was changed, then you could be concerned.

Heres a pic of her before this happened and after...i don't think shes going potty :(...

Attachments

• 100_4156.jpg
    100_4156.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_4162.jpg
    100_4162.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 227
That cucumber looks like it is split clear in half. I'd take her out and give her a vodka bath. :( Sorry, but you don't want to risk the rest of your tank.

the top part is just reflection of water...but do u still tink i should take her out..shes eating ...and my tests for water are still spot on....

Is she really broken in half like that? Like, her guts are spilling out?

Your water tests may be spot on because you are not testing for toxins that sea cucumbers release ;)

heres a pic of her without reflection above...this is just weird. Ive been trying to find info all day. I guess when stressed they disembowel themselves (evisceration)...and can heal themselves...problem is sometimes they give off the toxins andsometimes no...They say if the "cuvierian tubules" come out shes done...however i have no idea what those look like....and yes it seems her top half has just split...overnight...

Attachments

• 100_4165.jpg
    100_4165.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 225
That does not look like a healthy cucumber.

Pentacta anceps (the cucumber you have) IS poisonous when stressed or dying. Either way can crash your tank.

The cuvierian tubules look like a white sticky mass of strings. If these come out you have mere MINUTES to get that thing out of your tank before everything in it dies. (Hope you're home and staring at your tank)

I would take it out now before you have a tank crash on your hands.

ok ty for all the help...i decided to take her out better to be safe than sorry..gotta love these fish stores who dont know crap!...sorry just aggrevating...now i hope everything makes it...time shall tell i suppose.

Back