Help

Or, if you don't want to mess around under the sink, you can get an adapter and hook it up to the cold water spigot on your clothes washer.

Regarding nitrate problems... In the future, add new live rock very slowly, so as not to overload your existing bacterial colony's capacity for eating ammonia. I agree that purple up didn't cause the spike.

RODI units can either be for your entire house (lots of $$$) and hook into your main line, or on a smaller scale just for your aquarium water, which are what Biff & BL are talking about.

get phos-sorb or some similar phosphate removing product from your LFS and let it sit in your sump, if you have one. It will help remove some of the nasty stuff from the tap water, because even if you switch to RODI right now, it will take quite some time before all the tap water gunk is gone. Good luck

Well I have bad news. Unfortunately I have lost a lot of my fish to this problem. I am going to take a step back and let the tank settle down for a while before I add anymore livestock. It is very depressing but I want to thank everyone for helping me out.

Awe man, Sorry to hear that...

Next time(if ever it happens again :( ) you know you have an ammonia spike besides doing water changes to help dilute the ammonia concentration in the water you could also dose some ammo lock to bond the ammonia and dose beneficial bacteria supplement to speed things along. Cant hurt right? I saved my fish through a 2 week cycle where ammonia spiked and I had a large die off of inverts. All fished lived through it using that method. My fish are a lil more hardy than some tho.

Back