Heniochus tank

Nimboli12

Reefee
How would it work to have 4 medium size Heniochus's in a 60 gal tank by themselves? Since the rule is 1 fish per 10 gal, & since I really like them would that be ok?

Aren't Heni's schooling fish anyway?

Well hate to say it but those are the type of fish better left in the ocean. Being one of the hardest fish to keep in a tank, they die for any of the slightest reasons. One would be extremely hard to keep, but four, impossible.
Best not to even try.

Waddi, as far as butterflies go, they are easier to keep than most. But I do agree that they are very difficult to keep.

4 by themselves in a 60 gal might work, but they might also be extremely stressed over the small space and having so many of them in there, that they dont ever end up making it. Even though LA says the can live in a 50 gal, with any touchy or sensitive fish I would automatically double the size of the tank. More room, less stress, better chance of success.

Oooo I always thought they were the ones that were impossible, and always die for any reason unknown to be no matter what you may try to keep em :-?

Ok. I'll pass on them. Even a small fish like a Damsel needs 10 gal?
In my 60 gal I now have; 1 Chromis 1 Watchman Goby 1 Damsel 1 CoralBeautyAngel 1red blenny 2 little red star fish 2 cleaner shrimp 2 snails couple of hermit crabs. It doesn't look crowded. When its time to add another what do you suggest I add?

Its not that the fish 'needs' 10 gallons, its just a rough rule for stocking a tank so that it is not overcroweded and that the filtration can handle the bio load.

It's possibly to stock at a higher density, but it should not be the goal of those that are starting the hobby, give yourself the safety factor and keep your fish happy.

When you see tank sizes listed for fish, its mostly due to the need for swimming space. You will see many tangs listed at 180+ gallons for a tank because they need the 6 feet of swimming space. If you've ever seen a tang in a large tank, you know why this is the case...

Yes, I was thinking about a Cardinal. When I had my bad ich problem I had a couple of them but they died. They were really sweet. Now that my tank is doing really well I just might consider him.

Back