Hermit Crab with Anemone

AdamC

Reefing newb
Anyone else have one?

I just bought one and didn't read up on it and that is truly my fault. I was blinded by its beauty.. I had to move him out of my 75 gallon into my 20 gallon which is empty besides a fish.

As soon as I introduced him with a bunch of snails and hermits (small ones) he actually left his shell did not move the anemone and went into another shell that was smaller. Then he started eating my guys! This was right after I fed the tank a meat cube.

Are they all just destructive eating machines?

im sorry i didnt see your post.
I have one in a costomers tank. they are agressive to say the least. the costomer came to me and said that she wanted 4 in her 140 gallon reef tank. I told her the same thing. they are agressive.
the anemonie crab will kill other crabs if it dos not have enough space.

as far as the shell that can be normal. it didnt like the shell. but when they get in a new shell they will put the anemonie on the new shell. did yours?

this prefers an aquarium with large amounts of stable rock work and dim light. The Hermit Crab is aggressive and makes a poor candidate for a reef or peaceful fish aquarium. It will eat fish, snails, and worms, but also detritus and some algae. As it grows, it will need larger shells, therefore multiple sizes of gastropod shells should be available to it.

I hope this helps.

Is this an anemone crab you are talking about? Or a hermit crab that has an anemone attached to his shell? There is a crab called an anemone crab.

It is an Anemone crab. He finally grabbed removed the anemone and placed it onto his new shell. Still debating one whether I should take him out of my 75 gallon tank as he doesn't seem to move much anymore because of my lighting. He was out in the light once i got my shipment and once i released him with the rest of the crabs he started feasting. Must have been starving. I am just worried he is eating all my crabs and I can't tell.

Hi, I just saw your post. I'm happyt o hsare my experience and answer any questions I can.

I have two - fell in love with one at my LSF and brought him home. I was aclimatising while I read up on the species on the net - thank goodness because he would have wrecked my reef!
I kept him in a species only tank and enjoyed feeeding him as he was so interactive and fun. I saw another in another LFS and thought he'd like some company. I kept a close eye on them and at first they seemed fine other than him stealingone of her anenomes. In fact they teamed up and caught the reef catfish I had in the tank one by one.

But the first time she moulted he ripped one of her arms off. (the sex description here may be inaccurate as I have only my ex-fisherman husband's word on how to sex crabs)
Thank goodness I was watching at the time so I rescued her and she got her own species tank. She appeares much more laid back and takes food from my hand - something I wouldn't dare try from him, for fear he would take my arm and drag me into the tank! LOL!

Very aggressive, they love eating meaty foods, I have fun giving them different things to play with, a plastic bird ladder, a jar, other shells. The best is watching them change shell and roll up their anenomes.

I have ended up keeping them in separate tanks with live rock and macro and toys that I chage around.

How's yours gong?

PS I also feed their anenomes with rotifers witha pipette but be careful of the glowing organge flouro stinging cells. I had the WORST burns from some left behind in change water and had a bandanged arm for 4 days over Xmas!

Back