Hermits eating Snails

rwynn

Big Daddy
So, I have added probably 10 snails in the last 2 months, they do well until they leave the glass, the moment they hit the sand or rock my hermits(normally 4-6 of them) gang the snail and have the shell cleaned out in an hour or so....They don't use the shells there are shells just littering the sandbed now.

Anyone recommend a snail that hermits won't eat? Should I add something to the tank for the crabs to eat? I normally leave them a fairly good supply of mysis the fish don't eat.

I added a fighting conch that has been holding his own, would it be ok to add a few more conches? This one cleans like a mad beast.

There is no such thing as a snail the hermits won't eat. You need to get rid of the hermits. That's why I don't keep hermits and I recommend hermit-free CUCs! They love to kill, and will kill snails even if they aren't hungry or don't need the shells. Hermits are just assholes.

So, for a CUC...I'm thinking another conch, a sandsifting reef safe starfish, a 5 snails(for now), and one of those awesome looking black(or extremely dark red) Serpant Sea Stars. BUT Everyone online is out of stock on inverts. Guess I'll be hitting up the LFS.

I love my turbo snails!! I bought some crabs and never saw them again after I put them in the tank. My turbos have even started breeding in my HOB fuge. Two of the larger ones crawled up my output tube and have started a little family in there. They do a great cleaning job in there too!!!

I'll take the hermits over the snails anyday:D
If y'all would feed those crabs some they wouldnt NEED to eat those lazy snails.:mrgreen:
Besides that,If y'all would be a little more careful about WHERE your getting your crabs,y'all wouldnt be havin problems with em.:mrgreen:

There is no such thing as a snail the hermits won't eat. You need to get rid of the hermits. That's why I don't keep hermits and I recommend hermit-free CUCs! They love to kill, and will kill snails even if they aren't hungry or don't need the shells. Hermits are just assholes.

Hermit crabs are assholes? Not a very scientific comment coming from a marine biologist. LOL!

Back