Hey

Mako

Reefing newb
Hello everybody, I am 15 and I live in Maine. I used to run my own saltwater aquarium (14 gallon with two percula's and a domino damsel) and ran it very smoothly for several months. Sadly, after receiving the domino damsel everything went downhill. But, I want to start again, and I have all but completely forgotten the things I need to do. So if I can get a list of things to get, links for information, etc., that'd be great! Also, if it helps, I'm planning on the clownfish again, a blenny of some sort and a cleaner shrimp. Is this too much?

Thanks for all of the welcomes guys, and thanks for those links. I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few days :D

Again, thanks for the welcomes! And I still have more questions, but I should ask, do these annoy you guys at all? I know some people find it rather annoying with all of these questions...
Anyway, I found my hydrometer and testing kits (Nitrates, Nitrites, Alkalinity, and PH) and I'm wondering if it is okay to use them? I also still have a lot of left-over salt, and I'm assuming that's safe

Again, thanks for the welcomes! And I still have more questions, but I should ask, do these annoy you guys at all? I know some people find it rather annoying with all of these questions...

Nope, that's what we're here for! :)

Test kits generally expire after a year or so -- there is an expiration date on the package of most brands. The hydrometer is probably bad; they need to be replaced every 6 months anyways and can be inaccurate. You should get a refractometer instead to measure your salinity. The salt is fine.

Those test kits do expire, as do they hydrometers. The hydrometer is for sure bad, but your test kits might still be good. The thread below has the information on how to find out if yours have officially expired or not.

https://www.livingreefs.com/do-you-know-api-test-kits-expire-t32240.html

But i would still see if the lfs would let you test some water and compare it to their tests because they might be bad anyways.

The salt should be good, but if water got in it it might be in chunks. Just break those apart.

And please keep asking questions, this helps prevents the "why did my fish die questions" which we all hate if it was preventable.

Back