Hi Im new

prthd

Reefing newb
so i bought a 75 gallon tank last weekend. i would like to know when i can start adding fish, shrimp, coral. i dont feel to confident in the local pet store advise. i currently have 3 pieces of curred live rock ranging from softball to bowling ball size. i also have 2 Damsels, i was told by one worker i could add them so i did. and today another workers says i shouldnt add anything for 3 - 4 weeks. The Damsels are doing great and my water levels are all good.

nice to meet you all

Dave

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. You stated that your tank is only a week old, has it gone thru a cycle yet? How many lbs of live(cured) rock did you purchase, because the rule of thumb is 1-2lbs per gallon. If it has cycled, then the damsels should be fine. You should be patient, and add fish slowly, at least once every 2-3 weeks. Now, inverts, as long as the tank is cycled, you can add them. They don't really contribute to the bio-load. And if you have good lighting, them you can start off with some easy(soft) corals and maybe a few lps's. Good luck and keep us updated...
Ps...we really, really like pics. :)

so i just bought some more live rock, im up to about 20 pounds. like i stated my tank is 75 gallons. whats the minimum pounds of rock i should have, ill post some pictures of my set up once the water clears up a little.

Minimum 75 lbs of rock. You want to shoot for 1 to 2 lbs per gallon of tank size. So 75 to 150 total. But that can be a mix of dry and live rock; it doesn't all have to be live.

can i add live rock down the road thats cured or will is screw up my tank. like say 15 20 pounds a month

Not if the rock is cured already. If you're not sure, you can leave it in a rubbermade with a powerhead and heater before you add it to your tank. Watch the parameters in the tub. If they stay at zero, the rock is safe to add to the tank.

whats a devent price for live rock, i went down to columbus ohio today to a place called aquarium adventures. they had it half off so it was 4.50 a pound. im getting excited cant wait to be able to add coral and a few shrimp.

That is a good price. My LFS sells live rock for $12 to $14 a pound. Even if you buy online, the cheapest you're going to be able to find is around $4 per pound.

I would suggest keeping a look out for stuff on local forums and cragslist(especially being new to the hobby you will find lots of useful stuff). I got some nice 6 yr old live rock covered with Coraline and all kinds of stuff for only $1-3/lb from a guy who was tearing down his fish tank not too far from me. Some great deals and beats the heck out of LFS prices!

BTW, welcome! ^_^

Edit: Matter of fact I see your Ohio, The forums I found that stuff on was michiganreefers.com and MOST of the people are all down by the south border, Detroit area and Ohio. I'm up north so like 90% of that doesn't effect me but I still keep an eye out for my area :)

Last edited:
Back